1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Ionic Breeze Modding -Done

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 2 Feb 2004.

1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I bought a new car, and a Automotive Ionic Breeze to keep the air inside clean.

(If you don't know what an Ionic Breeze is, check www.sharperimage.com)

I started modding the Ionic breeze last week:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=50227

But here are the results:
    http://www.zapwizard.com/Car/IonicBreeze/Index.html

The Ionic Breeze from Sharper Image is one of my favorite devices in my home. It is an excellent electronic air filter and worth every penny.
    I also decided to install a automotive model into my car, to keep the air inside fresh also.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off the Ionic Breeze can run of either batteries or the car power plug.
    As I don't want to change batteries constantly, I decided t simply plug the ionic breeze into the lighter.

But a design feature annoyed me, the ionic breeze will only turn on when you press the button on top of the unit.

It will then stay on for 30-minutes, and auto shut off.

Well I wanted the unit to turn on the instant I started the car, and stay on the first 30 minutes that I am driving.

So some circuit hacking was needed.

[​IMG]

Voltage =6 Volts (Same as the ionic breeze uses)
    Relay = 6 Volt SPST
    D1 = 1N4001
    C1 = 3300 uF
    R1 = 390 Ohms
    R2 = 2200 Ohms

After quite a few un-necessarily complex circuits, and a few blown fuses, I realized the simplest circuit would also work the best.

All that was needed was a relay that would hold the ON button down for a few seconds after the power was applied.

A Resistor/Capacitor circuit was used.

This is how it works:

When power is applied current flows through the relay coil, closing the coil.

As C1 begins to charge up (Regulated by R1) the current across the coil begins to drop.

Once the capacitor reaches full charge the relay will not have enough current to stay closed, and the relay will release the ON button.

As long as power is applied the capacitor will stay charged, and the relay will not turn on.

Once power is removed the capacitor dis-charges through R2, and is reset for the next power on.

[​IMG]

First the un-modified unit.

The LEDs on the front are green when operational, and flash red when the unit is idle.

[​IMG]

Inside the front holes you can see a faint purple/uv glow coming off a needle inside.

[​IMG]

First the relay circuit was built and hot-glued to keep it together.

[​IMG]

The circuit was then tested, and the Ionic breeze powers up automatically every time.

[​IMG]

The unit is no taller then a AA battery, and fits perfectly into the battery compartment.

[​IMG]

The needed connections where then soldered up.

[​IMG]

To add some more effect to the unit, I added two LEDs

that will provide a nice glow around the front holes.

[​IMG]

These are soldered into the circuit, and tested.

[​IMG]

I also reversed the wiring on the status LEDs, so the lights are Red when operating, and green when Idle.

You can also see the nice glow in the front holes.

[​IMG]

The unit is completed and ready to be installed in my car.

2. Shoobie

Shoobie What's a Dremel?

Will we see this integrated in to the car somehow? As always, nice work. :thumb:

3. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Good Job Zap :rock:

I love the ideas on your website, very creative :hip:

4. Megadoomer

Megadoomer What's a Dremel?

youre my hero...taking an air freshener...maybe the most boring thing in a car and made it look cool