Graphics 9800se 256?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chobbler, 1 Feb 2004.

1. Chobbler

Chobbler Running with a Spoon

Does anyone know (hopefully in UK, or deliver cheaply to UK) where to get one!? its just i've looked online and had no luck. If i can't find it i might have to go for a 9600XT which isn't bad...but i am looking to try and soft mod it..see if it might actually work!!!!!!

anyone link me?

2. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

I dont think they make an 9800SE 256meg version..
    i looked every where for an plain 9800SE and those are even hard to come by

3. Chobbler

Everyone is going on about getting it......i know where to get the 128 mb version...its an AIW wonder but still. Very strange that people talk about it and it seemingly doesn't exist at all! :wallbash:

4. jonv

jonv What's a Dremel?

Not quite...

Its the 256bit memory interface version 'everybody's' on about as aposed to the 128bit version..
    Like u say the AIW is 256bit (hercules at least), non AIW are mostly 128bit, some 256 but harder to find these.

5. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Correct, a 256MB 9800se would be virtually useless. 256bit=faster bandwidth; faster bandwidth=faster games

I can't find any damn 256bit 9800se's anywhere, otherwise I might get one (if they were around 170 dollars) if any different, I'd just go with a 9800PRO, you can get one for 230 USD at newegg.com

6. Chobbler

well 'excuse me', dunno what it is but the use of bunny qoutes during messages just rubs the me the wrong way. IT was an honest mistake about the 256 bit and 256 MB things. I now understand and know where to get hold of one, unless someone knows something about the hercules not soft modding?
    I've been tempted by the basic saphire 9800pro at a tenner more. Anyone got opinions on which one would be better? or at least better investment.

:sigh:

7. jonv

jonv What's a Dremel?

no offence intended......

Depends what u want really.... If u want the AIW bit then maybe its worth it... if u deffinately want 9800pro performance then probably not.
    The price difference isn't anything like it used to be ie 9800se aiw for something like £130 (b4 they put price up) compared with the pro at about £280+

What prices u looking at now? crucial do a 9800pro for ~£226

8. Chobbler

i found a Sapphire 9800 Pro 128 for £190, which i think is okay, but i would be willing to go higher if the extra quality was worth it i suppose. But then my current card is a 9600 pro...which i am selling for £125 to a friend...hmmm this is a hard decision...

**edit thing** The Hercules AIW has the 256 bit and is about £140. The AIW parts are tempting...but i don't know if i would ever actually use them!!!! :hip:

9. jonv

jonv What's a Dremel?

hmmm.. don't know if there will be any/much difference in quality?(maybe memory chip manufacturer, but that might be when made rather then brand)
    probably sourced from same place anyway...not like either are from unknown companies?

I guess if u did get the 9800se and it didn't soft mod then u ain't gonna notice any difference in real terms to your 9600 pro thou...
    I'd probably get the 9800 pro, at least a decent jump in performance over the 9600/9800se is guaranteed then..

wow u can get £125 for a 9600 pro?

10. Chobbler

your right. I'll just get the pro. Is there any 9800 Pro that would be better than others as long as its below 250 of course....otherwise i might just go with the Sapphire!

***edit thannng*** hehehe well he doesn't know much about computers. I am giving him a whole chunk of software and a halflife two voucher. So really he's not getting a bad deal.

Tags: