Modding Woody

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Neph, 8 Jan 2004.

1. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

Hi!

This is my first post in reguards to modding. I've recently started to build a wooden case made of Mahogany with walnut accents. I've built the chassis and now started the mock up what will be the "stand". I'm looking for some comments (good or bad) and an idea on what needs to be improved. I'm not certain if this will hold the weight of the case with everything in it. I plan on making the stand then using some weights to see what it's limits are. I need an idea on how much weight I should try to see if it fails.

-Neph

[​IMG]

2. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Nice stand. I don't think you're going to overload it with a computer, unless its a mainframe or something. Start up a log and keep us posted with lots of pics!

3. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

Just one small point wood is a good insulator so you are go`ing to need plenty of cooling in there ,but it`s also good sound proofing for low end niose :dremel:

4. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

I've started a log with lots of pics, but I'm not going to post it until I've moved along in the project abit further.

My plan is to water cool it, so if anyone could recommend some sort of kit or some parts to help me get a head start on the planning/research.

-Neph

5. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

theres some one hear that is well in with danger den stuf and i`m sure someone will point him out for you coz I ca`nt remember his name off hand :duh:
    or even look in the mod guids or kooling sections :thumb:

6. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

Just a small update to the soon to be "Sport'n a Woody" project log. I started working on the HDD rack. I had originally intented to mount the HDD's vertically, but i decided to mount them on thier side. The rack will hold 6 Hdd's, with an addon option for more should the need arise. I still have to put some spacers between the HDD's to keep them from jiggling around on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Right now I'm workin on the back of the case, I have cut out the mobo mount that I took from an old case,and the PSU. I started workin on the PSU unit to intergrate two psu's into one box. Got the PCB fitted, relay switch and grounds then :wallbash: I didn't take into account the fans. :nono: I've devised a plan to mold them into the exterior of the case, now just to put the plan into action and hope that it doesn't look to out of place.

I'll update in a day or two on the "fix" for the fans with pics.

7. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

looks like a nice mod, i always thought about making a wooden case, but using sheets of wood and no frame.

keep up the good work, and y do you need 2 psu's

8. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

Hopefully I can take the wood and construct what I see in my mind. And add all the little details that I have planned for it.
    The two psu i have are 250 watts, so rather than buying a new 500 watt powers supply and let these sit in some box collecting dust I figured I'd use them. one will power the mobo and hdd's, the secondary will power the cd/dvd rom, dvd burner, floppy and a few lights when the door opens.

9. Crashmaster007

Crashmaster007 What's a Dremel?

Looking good. I have always liked wood cases.

10. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

11. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

I always like to see cases built with unusual materials and i have seen a few great wood cases.
    Hey, someone should build one from ice, like and ice sculpture. ( i'm sorry it's been a long day of revision, nuclear physics sucks ass)
    'doc

12. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Very nice, original too! :D

btw where is "Prince Rupert, BC"?

13. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

British Columbia, Canada it's a small city about 35 km from the Alaskan border.

14. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

Small update

Today my wife came home bearing a small gift, an etching pen with a diamond tip. So while the glue was setting up over night on the bumpout I decided to etch an image onto the mirror that will cover the plywood bottom.

During

Finished

I'm gonna create a project log today and move this to the proper forum.

15. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

After a week of the flu I finally got around to doing something with my case. With the leftover part of the psu's housing and an hour of cutting with a scrollsaw this is what came out.

After Painting:[​IMG]

In position:[​IMG]

No two more to do...

*edit*

wrong forum :duh: posting in the project logs.