1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Is it ok changing LED'S in logitech optical mouse

Discussion in 'Modding' started by modmaster, 4 Feb 2004.

1. modmaster

modmaster What's a Dremel?

Hiya everyone,

i was just wondering how the optical mouses work, are they special LED's in them that track the movment or are they just standard LED's casue i have just seen a post where someone replaced it. But i just aint too sure on doing it. Any help plz :D

2. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

do it v-e-r-y carefully and don't do anything you can't put back, and you'll be alright.

3. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

i dont personally know, but everyone here seems to be very serious about warning people to use only very bright led's for this mod.

4. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

Go for it I have done it and it worked just fine for me, at least it did when I used a bright enough L.E.D. :thumb:

5. The_Resetter

The_Resetter I LIKE CAKE!

F00ck red leds, bl00 = teh pwnage :naughty:

[​IMG]

Guts.
    [​IMG]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bl0000000 LED's :rock: :rock:
    [​IMG]

6. Axis64

Axis64 What's a Dremel?

Well i have done it and it worked fine for me, apart form i put the LED in the wrong way round, so i say go for it mate mine looks well cool :dremel:

7. modmaster

coolio and good job at replacing the LED's i am just gona go for it and hope it works, if not then :miffed: :waah: . but if it dose ill have a party :clap: .

ne way thanks for the help guys. peace :thumb:

8. The_Resetter

Just use bright leds, I used 3000mcd. And put them in the right way, CNAP Cathode Negative Anode Positive. :thumb:

9. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

So, you CAN use blue leds? That would rock, although I'd suggest using a cheap older mouse for this, as you wouldn't want to screw up a nice MX700 or w/e those awesome wireless ones are

10. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

Of course you can use bloo leds look up a few posts, also you wouldn't want to use a wireless mouse cause those new ultra high power L.E.D.s would drain power like a bitch. :D

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Keep in mind the they use red for a reason...It can sence eny surface/texture. Blue, not so much, they only work on flat sutfaces that are a shade of blue/purple or white-light gray.

BLUE LEDS DO NOT WORK ON ALL SURFACES, ON RED/YELLOW/ORANGE OR GRAY-BLACK THE MOUSE WILL NOT TRACK

12. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I modded my old optical mouse (intellimouse 5.0) The most important thing when rewiring the leds is the mcd and the angle. I replaced the original with red's blue's, greens between 3000-6000mcd. Also another note, I dont have a multimeter but the mouse only supplies I believe around 2.8 or 3 v so IF you led is rated for 5 v it probably would be too dim. (most blue's are a higher mcd)

The reason they use Red is because they are the cheapest for hi mcd, IIRC the camera is black and white, like the closed circut cams in gas stations, those can pick up Ir light pretty well and of Red blue and green REd is the closest to IR light (infact don't most red led's leak a bit into the infared light?)

To sum it up
    yes its doable,
    check the v of the mouse and the replacement led
    check the mcd it should be over 3000
    If done correctly the mouse will work on most any surface the original worked on
    the tracking will be the same

13. metarinka

That is not true, they work just as well as a red led on any surface except for black. Infact they would in theory work better on a red surface then a red led as then the contrast would go down. I use a fake mica desk as my mousing surface and all the colors worked fine.

14. Zapho

Zapho What's a Dremel?

I replaced the reds in my Logitech optical with blue LEDs. You need to be carefull because the contact pads on the PCB where you solder the LED into can pull off the PCB VERY EASILY. I had to do a little makeshift wiring cuz I had accidentally pulled off the contact pad when I was pulling the old LED out. And like it was said before, make sure you get the polarization on the LED right the first time.
    Also, to make it brighter, I soldered another blue LED in parallel with the first LED and placed it just above the plastic holder for the main LED.

And I've had absolutely no problems with skipping or anything.

15. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I have seen the blue mod done many times, I my self have done it twice and I have never seen a blue LED mouse work on the colours I mentioned before.
    I was pissed off the first time I did this to my mouse becuse of that, so I tried 6 different leds all at different brightnesses.

16. Neo40k

Neo40k What's a Dremel?

If you have problems with dimming, USB carries 5V so simply connect it in series with a resistor to the Red and Black lines connecting to the board on the mouse. But be careful if you intent to solder your new led to these pins on the board. You need to keep that little white plastic connector on because otherwise the pins WILL shift or fall out…and then you have a problem because they tend take the traces with them. ( I lost 2 Logitech mice that way) But that will solve the brightness problem…and allows you do add additional lighting inside the mouse

17. The_Resetter

U are wrong! its not because its the cheapest.

Look @ the sheet, its the best colour for the sensor to work with, appart from IR.
    [​IMG]

Colors:
    Bl00: 470nm
    Green: 520-565nm
    Yellow: 588-590nm
    Orange: 605nm
    Red-Orange: 611-615nm
    Red: 626-660nm
    Infra-Red: 880 - 950nm

18. Fubie

Fubie What's a Dremel?

I've moded my MX500 with a 2200mcd blue (470nm) led and have excellent response on any surface I have used it on. Including the colors mentioned that won't work. This mod isn't difficult and looks great. Especially on my clear Everglide. Now I just need to cut a channel in the EG and mod it like Macroman did.

19. metarinka

Later on I mentioned the issue of the light wavelength and such, Trullly tho you'll see no difference on normal mousing surfaces, as long as the contrast is good. may I ask where you got that graph from

20. modmaster

hehe hiya everyone,

wow alot of people have information regarding the mod. It looks like bloo LED's work diffrent in diffrent mice, this is anoying for some people, but what i am gan do is just go for it, but keep the led i remove from my mouse. My mouse runs of batteries will the loverley bloo LED :clap: use more power than the red LED. casue if it dose i will :waah: lol

ne way thankyou to you all for posting, and that graph is helpfull. thankyou :clap: :thumb: