1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheres your town?

Discussion in 'General' started by alipuk, 6 Mar 2002.

1. alipuk

alipuk What's a Dremel?

OK, heres the map, can you spot where you live???

The Map

I am somewhere in the splodge near London :)

Last edited: 6 Mar 2002
  2. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Look for the electromagnetic force field on the North East coast of England. That is where my cave is.

(Wasn't this pic posted on PH yonks ago?):confused:

3. K

K 528491

Yeah from here, why's it bein posted again? Just to see where your town is? In that case, slap bang in the middle of England... Near a big Castle with some ambient blue cathode glow.

4. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

no more posts of that image, pls hehe.

look for the large light in the southwest desert of the US and thats where i am

5. Slink

Slink B7

What part of north east,?

And im near him, that bradford010 bloke

6. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

If you look closely, the force field originates around the Gateshead area (South Tyneside).

7. Ranger Loki

Ranger Loki What's a Dremel?

Houston, Texas, ROXXORS nuff said(well just Texas hehe)

8. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Look at the southeastern US... see that big dark hole? I am in the geographical center of that! :D

9. linear

linear Minimodder

OK, a long ass time ago, on a far distant forum, all the peeps said "oooh aaah" at the well-known pic, and similarly got together for a "where the hell are we" thread.

And the hivemind concluded that a map was necessary to document "where the hell are we." So I wrote a little function to convert from latitude nd longitude to coordiantes on a Mercator projection map of known extents, got an instance of said map by rinning xearth, pushed some buttons in Photoshop, bodged up a little DHTML, and came up with this: http://linear1.org/locator/locator6.html

Now this could be a cool thing to have here, (or maybe not so much), but it needs some obvious mods for use around here. For one thing, the UK is absurdly small on the map, and since that's where 70% of the blips will be, some kind of inset map would be needed for the UK, kind of a "zoomed in" view. And that would need to be coded up, and I'd probably want to fix the minor Javascript bugs that are lurking in this thing. And while I'm at it, I want to make it fully automated, so that you can enter your lat and long in your forum profile and the gizmo will plot you automagically.

Any thoughts?

10. alipuk

alipuk What's a Dremel?

I am sure this was mentioned sometime ago and back then everyone said what a good idea it was :)

now a website redesign has come and gone perhaps now it will be implemented and used by us all to show where we really all are :)

and I hadn't seen that night map of the world before and that was why i posted it here, k???

11. Slink

Slink B7

why has half of the russian area got no lights?

12. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Linear, thats sounds like a wicked idea. With 1500 members we should have pretty good ww coverage.

13. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

The Russian have got lights on. It's just you can't see 'em.

14. DooMBlade

DooMBlade What's a Dremel?

Wow , quite a humbling picture indeed. I can actually pick out my city in the picture. Kinda kool

15. FeebleUK

FeebleUK What's a Dremel?

i live neer that bradford010 guy too, so does ShockS and Bradfordpimp....theres quite a few of us actually from neer here!

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Its cause 90% is too cold to live there! Its siberia init?

17. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

You see that really bright section on the contenent on the left-top . Now you see those five little dark areas next to it. In dead center of the rightmost one, me and My father have our computers running @ the moment (2 x (AMD 1.4/A7A266/256MB/20GB with fans out the wazzoo) + P!!! 800) and it has caused a little power dip in my area.

The reason russia's lights are out is because thats where a half dozen of my peeps went to avoid this kinda thing, I gues they didnt realise that russia was in a hell of a lot poorer condition that canada is in right now.

Just kidding im actually that little bright spot on the left hand, wedge shaped side of the right hand little black blotch, of the group of five beside the big bright area on the leftmost topmost continent, to most of you that meas im hiding in an igloo in the middle of Futt Buck nowhere, so what, excuse me while i sit here alternatley watching hockey and curling and chipping some of my wall off for my scotch on the rocks.

18. kanes

kanes What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 25 Jan 2009
  19. TwiSteD LoGic

TwiSteD LoGic What's a Dremel?

yall know where chicago is? im near there *woo hoo*

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's in .. uhh.. south africa isnt it??

jk :D