Disaster toasted PSU, why?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Thunderdome, 13 Feb 2004.

1. Thunderdome

Thunderdome What's a Dremel?

My buddy got me a cigarette lighter that plops in a 5.25" bay for x-mas and finally brought it over to me today. I plopped it in, hooked it up..hit the power switch, and all was fine...then I pushed the lighter in and BAM...PSU was toasted. The funny thing is...the wiring from the back of the lighter had a fuse on it...I'm assuming so stuff like this doesn't happen. Apparently it didn't work. I HAD a 300w PSU, and I had no other mods. 2 HDDs, 2 DVD drives, and a floppy. For those of you that are more familiar with electronics...any ideas as to why this happened?

I almost forgot...no ground wire. Here's a link to a site(not the site purchased from I don't think) with some info on the product.

http://www.svc.com/cilisi.html
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Feb 2004
  2. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

Maybe you plugged it in the wrong way?

Or did the plug short the connectors inside the cigarrette lighter thingy?

3. comprocket

comprocket What's a Dremel?

I hope you thought of writing to the manufacturer, emailing them, or even calling them. If you hooked it all up correctly as you said, you can't be the only person who experienced this problem. They may have a poorly made product with problems!

4. Thunderdome

Thunderdome What's a Dremel?

99% certain I plugged it all in correctly. No instructions came with the item. Just a simple molex power connector. Unplugged one of my hard drives and daisy-chained this thing in there.

I will definitely try to find contact info for the manuf. and see what the deal is.

5. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

d00d that sux, sorry to hear about the PSu,did anything else get damaged. Im def not gettin one of these, i dont smoke anyways!

6. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

Smoking around computers is very bad.

7. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

Lol yea but smoking all togher is bad anyway :D :hip:
    thats why i never touched fags before

8. TMM

TMM Modder

Its a differnt story when the smoke is coming not from your mouth, but your tower though
    :D :hehe:

9. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

:worried: yeh.. LOL. I'v blown 4 psus. :sigh:

10. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

maybe it needs a betetr spu then just a normal 300w one, although if it did it should have just switched off not fulyl burnt :/

11. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

oh dear..

12. Pricester

Pricester What's a Dremel?

Hmm... Directron have a warning that you may need to upgrade if you actually want to use the lighter feature... doesn't say it will blow things up though.

PC Mods also states that it should draw <9A when heating... what power supply did you have, and what did it support on the 12V line?

Also, is it definitely dead? A lot of PSUs will shut down on overheat or over current, but come back after cooling down - or if you're lucky, there could be a fuse somewhere...

Otherwise... better luck next time - Smoking kills (PSUs)

13. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

i used to smoke a pack a week but lately ive stoped because im out of money but i never got hooked but any way to the point about a year ago my freind got one of those i took one look at it thats got to draw alot of current so what i did sence he had a huge case unlike me i have a small one is he only had a 200 watt psu so i wired a 150+watt psu i think it was any way to were the 150 watt was powering the ciggarette lighter and any way after some tweakingit a little wiring it through the other one so it only needs one power cord it works wonderfull the thing gets so hot that you can hold the thing a half an inch away and still light the smoke

14. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

Why oh dear?

15. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

How did you manage that m8! :worried:

16. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

sounded like your saying you've never touched gay people before, but now you do. lol :nono: