1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Chrome question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ishiii, 23 Feb 2004.

1. ishiii

ishiii What's a Dremel?

Hi guys
    Is it possible to get anodized parts chromed? Would it cost more then getting a standard part chromed?

If anyone has some info on this please share
    ishiii

2. ishiii

ishiii What's a Dremel?

no one knows weather or not this can be done?

3. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I would imagine that anodizing wouldn't be much of an obstacle. As far as I know, as long as it's still metal, the electroplating of chrome should adhere.

4. irsekz

irsekz What's a Dremel?

it should be able to be done you will need to sand i dont see why there would be a problem because the anno has bonded with the metal

5. Bmw M3

Bmw M3 What's a Dremel?

take it to a chrome platting place they will shot blast it first then chrome it but be warned chrome platting is mega bucks i wanted to do a case in chrome and carbon fibre and jesus i was quoted over £300 to do a chrome case.

6. Tezdread

Tezdread What's a Dremel?

bit steep, was that a standard ATX case? would be a bitch matching the CD/DVD drives aswell though

ishiii, what parts ru thinking of chroming?

7. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Full chrome case ... hmmm....

8. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

Im relatively sure you cant electro plate aluminium?

9. beatamax

beatamax What's a Dremel?

You can chrome plate alloy bike engine cases, excesive heat used to make it crack though.

10. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Yes aluminum can be chromed and if it is already anodized, chemical stripping can remove that before the chroming process begins.
    It's just a bit more expensive.
    300 pounds (sorry, no pound symbol...) does seem high...was that for the entire case or just the chassis?

11. macroman

macroman The One

My local plater estimated about £40 for a full case chroming. The trick is to do all the pieces at the same time.

12. Penni

Penni What's a Dremel?

i read somewhere that you can remove the anodising with - don't know the exact word in english -. but mr. muscle is a brand, its supposed to open your plumbing. sorry for my bad english

13. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

draino? mr plumber? drain cleaner type stuff to clear clogs in sewer pipes?

that'd make sense, there's some pretty caustic chemicals in draino and i'd imagine it'd strip just about anythign down to bare metal, if not eat the metal a bit itself.

googling on the subject yields: http://forums.sixgunner.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4073 which is talking about cleaning gun frames but anodized aluminum is anodized aluminum, right?

the main point i gathered from there is that sodium hydroxide (main ingredient in drain cleaners) can eat the aluminum and leave pitting. apparently (also gathered from that link) there is stuff specially made for cleaning anodizing off aluminum and should be available with or near anodizing kits.

14. Penni

Penni What's a Dremel?

yeah, that's teh stuff. just didn't get the right words. a friend of mine used it to clean up a radiator.

15. czechmodder

czechmodder What's a Dremel?

the stuff is called LYE, you can usually get it in powder form at a hardware store. word of warning(kinda funny too): mixing with aluminum(foil usually) and water creates hydrogen gas and heat, so u end up getting a buncha burning gas and a chemical that can burn your skin(think fight club) flying around.

16. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

videotape it and post it @ disasters when you re done :D