1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Qustion about fans ?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by PC4LIFE, 9 Mar 2002.

1. PC4LIFE

PC4LIFE What's a Dremel?

I got a new system and it runs around 50c under load and i want to cool it more.

I am thinking of adding a 131 CFM 120mm YS Tech and was wondering if I have to have the same output CFM as in?

2. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

i dunno nuthin bout your question, but your nick has me curious. Is it as in phrozen? if so who are ya? if not n/m 8)

3. Kalym

Kalym What's a Dremel?

Most hard core coolers will tell ya to balance air in with air out.

4. neuro

neuro What's a Dremel?

yeah, its best to keep it balanced. atm im kinda balanced, but im fitting this huge 120mm YSTech fan into the roof of my case soon so i'll be pulling out more than im putting in - which i hear is good. it apparently lowers ( air pressure? ) within the case - which is supposed to be great news as there is lots of warm air floating about. You you think this is wrong tho - please let me know, dont wonna end up with a huge hole in the roof of my case :eek:

gl wiv ur project m8 ;)

5. MadGamer

MadGamer What's a Dremel?

Hmmm not to contradict u m8 but i have heard that a slightly larger CFM input is better cos there will be always air to circulate inside the case whereas if u have negative pressure u will have less air so the heat will not circulate as well. Correct me guys if im wrong but thats my idea of airflow.
    Also do not forget to take into account the PSU fan especially if u have one of those lovely enermaxes with dual fans.

6. Goughy_Gough

Goughy_Gough What's a Dremel?

I dunno about this - i suppose it depends on the static pressures that your fans run at....
    lets put it this way.. There is no way of pushing in more than you suck out - good old conservation of mass there. So if you have more fans pulling than pushing then yes the pressure will drop inside, but hopefully this should help the ones pushing the air in, as they have a smaller pressure differential - d'ya see what i mean ?
    Anyway, thought I'd drop a random statement into the mix - thoughts people ?

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Lots of considerations, so YMMV. The only advantage of positive pressure is when you use inlet filters - it stops dust being sucked in through every hole and crack, like the floppy slot.

Fan flow drops if it sees case resistance, especially if the fans are low-flow or under-volted, so doubling the fans on the front will roughly double the back pressure, so you won't double the flow. Adding an exhaust fan to the back will then drop the case pressure, letting the front fans perform nearer their free air rating, but the flow through the case can never be better than the combined ratings of front fans or back fans - fans in series (even with a case in the middle) will only at best have the flow of a single fan.

Turbulence also knocks airflow down, so keep the area around the fan inlets and outlets clear of obstructions, fit wire grilles, round cables, tie wires out of the way.

Check out the flow/pressure curve for your fans, to see how they cope with back-pressure. But at the end of the day, you're balancing a couple of degrees off cpu temperature against the extra noise. :eek:

8. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

personally, i believe too many fans can be a bad thing. its great is you can keep yer superduper overclocked processor running at ambient , but if you just running at stock speeds, the wind tunnel effect is just gonna keep you awake at night.personally, im runnin a 1ghz cel2, 100mhz fsb, with just 1 80mm exhaust and the psu runnin fulltime, and a 60mmx30mm panaflo low intake blowing fresh air over my hdd ... i only kick on the 92mm side intake and the 40mm video card fan when im playing a 3d game or doing really heavy photoshoppin. as long as i dont get bsod's or ue's, im happy.

9. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

I kinda agree sometimes my 1Ghz Athlon will hit 60oC under very heavy load and it never crashes on me :D Yeah sure maybe im gonna upgrade my HSF or maybe just add some AS3 rather than this chewing gum like substance thats on now :D

10. PC4LIFE

PC4LIFE What's a Dremel?

Ok now that I know I have to balance the CFM what combo sould I do ?

2 131 CFM 120 mm's on the side one being intake and the other out.

Or 1 131 CFM 120 mm on the side and 4 33 CFM 60 mm's on the back above the the mobo + the Enermax PSU fan.

11. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

how about a 80 or 92 mm on the side ,intake, ducted to the hsf?all the room temp air goin straight to the hotspotm and the psu and a 80 or 92 exhaust on the back to vent?

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Just 1 weedy little 21cfm 60mm (the Delta Taisol use on the 760HS) is the noisiest fan in my system, even at 8v.

Don't even think about them. :rolleyes:

13. PC4LIFE

PC4LIFE What's a Dremel?

So do you think 2 120 mm would be a better plan ?

14. PC4LIFE

PC4LIFE What's a Dremel?

So do you think 2 120 mm would be a better plan ?

Edit Sorry about it posting twice I was getting a error and did not know it would post twice. :confused:

Last edited: 10 Mar 2002