1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The ATI PC (Old thread, mods please lock)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 25 Feb 2004.

1. kt3946

kt3946 What's a Dremel?

Zap:

You won that VersaLaser from TechTV didn't you? Are you going to be using that to cut the saw blade?

If you really wanted to set this community on it's ear for a while, you could provide us with a video of that thing in action....I've been wanting one of those puppies since the company went into business....sigh.

Anyways, one of the things I've always had a problem with, especially acrylics, is getting the LED light to diffuse through the acrylic and show up correctly. It works okay if you frost the back side or something, but I've noticed it works *too* well as a light pipe, and you end up having the edges show much brighter than the panel. Do the dyed acrylics work any better at this?

I've been thinking of adding an acrylic window to my Antec case (the cool Piano Black fingerprint finder extreme version), but I want something that I can add a couple of superbright LED's too, so the window actually lights up.

Since you seem to be doing something similar I thought I'd ask you....

Oh.. btw, you may want to check out this puppy too... sounds kinda like what you plan on building...

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=161+0682

2. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

Valium...if you want your PSU wires sleeved...frozencpu can do that for you...I will be buying a new Vantec Stealth Power Supply, Pre-Sleeved. They can do all that stuff...On the stuff they sell, and on your stuff too...I think... their site is www.frozencpu.com Its a cool site. Sorry Zap, i am kind of leading your Log off track so.....
    "Back on topic:"
    I will PM you Valium...nm, it wont let me...

Last edited: 4 Mar 2004
  3. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

I actually bought this PSU from frozencpu :/

4. Demalii

Demalii What's a Dremel?

ok cool, yea we're in san antonio so we'll be heading that way for a first time lol... i can't wait to see all of your projects, cya round

5. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

aww come on at least post a picture of some saw/plexidust, alu shavings, your dremel bits or something, its been weeks and 5 pages now without a picture come on :waah:

:naughty: :D

6. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

i live in san antonio any ways i agree with bee2643 post a pic of something to show you still in the game hell it doesnt even have to be the project(wife, other pc, tv,extras) come on

7. Altron

Altron Minimodder

If you made a website where you had to pay $5 to see pictures of your case, you could retire tomarrow :hehe:

8. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

First off please e-mail those type of questions rather then posting them in a thread. And sorry I am too busy right now.

------------
    On Topic:

I got the Athlon 64 3400+, a Raptor 36GB Harddrive, and 1GB of Corsair XMS CAS2 DDR400

But I also was not home for the cable guys to come by, so I got to wait until staturday morning before I can post images.
    (A moderator can lock the thread for now if they want)

9. IaKoVl

IaKoVl What's a Dremel?

I had seen "THE LORD (of modding)" and his name is ZapWizard.

dame, WZ were do u get this ideas fo modding, u make my jaw fall evry time with your mods :jawdrop: .

i want some to :wallbash:

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Zapwizard, this is an awesome project so far, and I like what I am hearing specs wise... :baby: :hehe: Off topic question: Do you know if it would be worthlwile for me to just go ahead and get a socket 754 processor, or should I wait for socket 939 and BTX? Or is BTX even going to be available with socket 754? Thanks for your help, if you can give it. I understand if you are unable to disclose that information.

11. PTK

PTK What's a Dremel?

I would wait for the 939's ... im pretty damn sure you wont see BTX'es in the near future, so ATX and 939 would be my choise if i was planning of upgrading anytime soon. BTX's is more what intel tries to push for its next socket systems and those arent coming yet.. ATX will live on for a long time expecially in the AMD systems.

Pe-Te

12. tmerelin

tmerelin What's a Dremel?

Your country name is spelled incorrectly :D

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

I do have to agree with this I'm afraid. It just doesn't look original or cutting edge enough from looking at your renders. I know it's a feature case, and there are certain specifications and boundaries which you have to adhere to, but the renders look more like an "engineers" alerations for making the product ready for the production line, rather than the "graphic designers" development ideas and readiness for realisation into a prototype. Afterall this showcase piece isn't going to make it into production, is it? It's a showcase for ATi, so you don't need to worry about whether it's viable for production or not.

Add some flair to it, supprise us. I was a real fan of your Ammo box, I loved the front panel idea with re-socketting everything to fit in with the military theme. I'm sure you've got some wacky ideas somewhere! From my experience of graphic design and realisation, as well as engineering design (the other side of the fence), you should be designing something wacky, and then realising it by toning your designs down. Leave the market viability designing to the engineers after you've made your "prototype".

Good luck!

Last edited: 5 Mar 2004
  14. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

i know this IS a shuttle, but i would expect you to do something that looked less like a perspex shuttle with a sawblade on the front, im with bigz and crimsonsky here. why not use try checkerplate instead of some of the perpex.

15. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Hey man, not bad.. but not great

I know we're all "wow thats nice, just a touch here of this and that" on this forum, but I guess we can be a little more harsh when it's the self professed God of modding ;) Hehe, naw, but I'd like to say what I think could be better if I may? I guess that's the point of these threads, no?

I like the idea, and the basic perspex panels are cool (since it's a SHOW case hehe) and the top sounds pretty kewl.

The right hand panel looks pretty weak, although I guess it's only a render. If that panel is translucent and well lit it could be a nice advert :)

The front is also fairly weak I think. Maybe you could take stock of some ATi product graphics and see if anything leaps out. Again though it could all change in reality and look better.

Have ATi already given the thumbs up?

Looking forward to see how it looks in the end :thumb:

16. ZapWizard

I guess you guys will have to wait a bit to see the full effects.

The effects are based more around dynamic lighting rather then static graphics or effects.
    I have a limited time span, budget, and I have to keep with-in logo guide lines for each company, so that limits quite a bit of the project.

This will be one big advertisement, so logos are everywhere.

Since my internet at home was is sodelayed and this project log in now three pages long (Without pictures yet) I will start another once I finally get internet.

17. PTK

PTK What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the front is the part im not sure it will look great, im sure that with skills it will look good, but GREAT. Dont think so. /me thinks theres the place to really show off some mad skills Zap has. Give him some slack and see what he can come up with.

The sawblade is used in the Get in the game logo, so the front should be something bit different. But hey, since theres no real pics yet im not gonna walk all over the RENDER :naughty:.

Hopefully it will as sweet as the other projects Zap's done... :rock:

PTK

Ps. Something like a round plasma wall with lightning strikes to the centre with AMD and ATI logos.. that might work :idea:. :thumb:

18. ZapWizard

Sounds cool, but the look is "Industrial".
    The saw blade on the front was designed before the Get in the Game logo on the side.

Also this project has to be very durable, as it will be shipped and handled constantly.
    So no glass, or parts that break off easily.
    The PC also has to be setup and taken down by someone who may have never have seen it before, so it needs to be kept simple.

So far the only external connections are VGA, Power, and USB
    The security circuit is even auto-arming so that the front jacks don't all have to be populated in order to still protect the connections from removal.
    (As most of the time only three out of the four front jacks will be in use)

19. PTK

PTK What's a Dremel?

Aaah, that explains a lot.

And yep, cant get too fancy.. those things have to handle quite a beating 'on the road' :(.

PTK

20. CrimsonSky

CrimsonSky What's a Dremel?

Any progress on the design/construction yet? I'm also creating comps for several clients this year, including one now for Via Technologies. Project Metropolis over at GVL.

I'm surprised you havent considered tempered glass as material for your box..could be cool.