1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Home-Made Truck Alarm

Discussion in 'General' started by OneSeventeen, 3 Mar 2004.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Has anyone had luck making homemade alarms for the bed of a truck?

I've got a top on it with locks, but they don't hold too well, in fact this is the second time I've gotten broken into, but this time they actually took my taillights!

I'm very angry right now so I'll try not to post too long (or I'll have to moderate my own post!), but I was wondering if there is an easy way to prevent this sort of thing other than buying a house with a garage?

The only thing I can think of is a personal alarm system that women used in the 80s to ward off murderers, rapists, and small dogs, but how to make it enabled and disabled?

I don't want a motion alarm, because we've got kids here and they bump into things all the time, but they dont' catch on too quick either. They're the rats that die from being shocked to death instead of letting go of the food. I don't want to go out every time someone hits my car with their door, but I do want to know when people open my car. Any way I could make use of my wireless networking and loud computer speakers?

2. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Motion-sensitive lights outside where you park your car. When the little theives come back, they get lit up. Now if you had some way of it turning on a light inside your house also so you know when it's come on, that would be more helpful.

3. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

they you get squirrels and fat ginger cats setting teh light off. and if its liek the ginger cat round by me it has been hit a few times with a supersoaker and it still comes back

4. The Spyder

The Spyder What's a Dremel?

Get a ok webcam and get motion sensitve lights.
    Mount the webcam in a unseen place and make sure its one that can be software activated by motion. Turn up the lights sensor, but aim it high enough that adults will trip it.
    Plug it into a crappy pc close (20ft at max due to usb limits) and use it for recording.

Check the log each day and see who it is....

Did this for my uncle. Worked like a charm.

Favorite other trick is the 9v dry cell wired to the lock/handel for the cover that activates through a relay that works with the stock alarm....

Of course there is also mounting like 2 500w halogens in the back of the truck, use a motion switch and run a cord to an ac outlet discretly....

5. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

For a GCSE systems project at school i'm making a portable alarm, works with a pyrosensor linked up to custom made PCBS using a few simple 555 ICs to create a police siren sound through a speaker, it detects IR radiation so cats and dogs *shouldnt* set it off, but it's only a year 11 project, only has to sort of work ;), could easily be adapted to suit :)

6. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Well, I decided to buy a lock for the tailgate, but they didn't have any in. So I parked my truck where I usually do, and locked the top portion mroe securely. I kept my tools I used to replace the tail-lights and was planning on using to install a lock in the back of the truck, and of course, they stole those a few nights ago! (this time they went in through the side window of the camper shell, because the cheap plastic latch broke off a long time ago) So now the only problem is they had to tear up the screen to get in.

I finally got smart and just took everything out of my truck and left the camper-shell unlocked, with the handles in the open position. If they want to steal my last bottle of bawls, that's fine... its been outside in the sun for a week, so when I see a jittery guy with a stomach ache dissapointed that he isn't drunk (and can't read), I'll know who it is.

Now I'm thinking along the lines of a wire tied to the tailgate, so when someone opens the gate, lights go off in the truck, and a light goes off in my house. That way I know when someone is snooping in my truck. (I'd perfer to set the wires up to the gate, the camper shell windows, the camper shell door, and the doors to the cab.) Is there any easy way to do this? I figured just a few marine lights plugged into the cigarette lighter with a switch that can be pulled by a string.

7. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I am building my own car alarm, and I am using a microwave motion sensor.

It has two zones (or one if you want)
    It detects any motion outside, and inside the car.
    You could calibrate it to chrip when someone is near your car, and alarm when someone is actualy reaching into the bed.

http://www.commandocaralarms.com/itemdetails.asp?ProductID=390

I got my sensor from allelectronics cheap, but I don't think they have any right now.

8. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Here's a good motion-detection webcam software.

http://www.gotchanow.com/

How about a bear trap in your truck bed. With that last bottle of Bawls on the trigger. Heck, I'd fall for it :D .

Tags: