Networks Help needed sharing a USB modem (BT ADSL)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keir, 3 Mar 2004.

1. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Hello ok This is how I get my internet.
    Phone line to DSL filter

DSL filter splits off to phone and to wire to modem.
    the modem wire then into a Thicker cable on the modem
    and the modem is connected to the computer via USB.

What would I need to share my connction with:
    2x desktop PC's (Xp)
    1x ps2 (for online play)
    ?
    we want wireless but the ps2 needs a stright through cable, so maybe a Router with some ports for wired computers.

.Keir.

2. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Since you want wireless go with just a simple wireless router with 4port swtich and a wireless bridge.

Connect the two pcs to the router and turn internet connection sharing (ICS) on, on the computer that has the modem connected to it. Your not going to utilize the router function of the wireless router but the switch and the wireless system should work.

Connect the wireless bridge to the ps2 via ethernet, and configure. Cant help with configs for the ps2 as Ive never done it personally. Im not even sure that it will accept ICS....

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

ADSL modem/router with 4 RJ45s and built in Access point, 11Mbps dlink dsl-604+
    This acts as a modem, router, wireless access point and switch. 4 in 1.

or...
    54Mbps version netgear dg834g

These are just examples but I believe that both of these products are PS2 compatible. There are a few similar products out there so shop around. Its better to understand what you need as opposed to taking someone elses advice. I'd go for a 54Mbps one myself. 11Mbps isnt all that fast for a WLAN. Sell the modem that you've got, or keep it for a backup.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2004
  4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Please god no, if you're gonna pay out for hardware get a router with internal ADSL modem and ditch the usb modem. I've got the non wireless version of the DG834G and it's a really good router, and it is PS2 compatible.
    I would recommend the DG834G for what you want but it depends on how much you're willing to pay and whether you want that fast a wireless connection.

5. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I cant seem to bridge My internet connection and my wireless connection,
    I think it is because next to my internet connection it says "Dial-up"

yes I am on boradband, But I have to dial up to connect. (BT OpenWorld)

6. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Right your connection probably uses ppoe which looks like a dialup account but the router will have a settign for that..

7. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

No he use PPPoA like everyone else in the UK on ADSL, but you're right about a router you buy with a built in adsl modem having an option to select PPPoA.

And Keir what exactly are you trying to do with your network connections by bridging them? What hardware are you currently using on ur network?

8. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Didnt know there was multiple versions. USA DSL uses pppoe

9. Rovman

Rovman What's a Dremel?

Well it really depends on your budget but as others have said, ditch the USB modem and replace it with a modem/router.

Netgear have the answer with their all in one box

Netgear DG83G: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52244

Its is an ADSL modem, router, wireless access point and 4 port switch all in one box. With firewall and 128bit WEP encryption (i think).

Plug that straight into your filter with an RJ11 socket then use one of the wired ports to connect the PS2. Then get yourself a couple of WiFi cards for the PC.

The unit is 802.11G protocol which is 54mbps.

Here is a couple of matching netgear cards for it

NETGEAR WG311 54mbps 802.11g Wireless PCI Card:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=50127

NOTE: Many people have had problems when upgrading the firmware on this router. Its a great router (just check the reviews at ebuyer too see that) but when/if you upgrade the firmware, do NOT do it over the wireless connection, use a cable to do it or you will kill the router.
    Netgear have created a recovery tool incase anything goes wrong though but im not sure where to find it.

Tags: