1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Dremel cutting...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Soulfly22583, 7 Mar 2004.

1. Soulfly22583

Soulfly22583 What's a Dremel?

When you guys make all your cuts on your side panels, bezels, or PSU's do you use a dremel or another cutting device?

Ive just started my first mod and am experiencing trouble cutting with the dremel.

Note - The dremel is cordless (bahh. dont like this =() and is a few years old.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated :dremel:

2. Bradish

Bradish What's a Dremel?

for all metals i go with the dremel... but sometimes with plastics it melts them, so that sucks, i dunno what i use then, it depends on what im making... and for plexi glass i use a scroll saw for thin plexi and a table saw for thick plexi or cuts that have to be exact... Happy Modding:dremel:!

3. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I personally use a jigsaw for any big work , and an engineers hacksaw/dremel for the middle ground, depending if i need a straight edge or not, and a dremel/junior hacksaw for the little work.

4. JuiceWorld

JuiceWorld What's a Dremel?

You could use nibblers. It will take a lot of elbow grease, but it does a great job.

5. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

since I don't have any power tools in my appartment except a dremel... I always use a dremel :D

check my tribal dragon project log to see tips on cutting metal with a dremel :D

take your time and as often as possible cut on both sides of the metal :)

6. modmaster

modmaster What's a Dremel?

I normally use jigsaw and dremel in the same mods, dremel is v good for fine work or tricky bits, bit if you want to plow through the case then jigsaw is gr8 :dremel:

7. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

I think a jigsaw is a must-have tool in any modder's arsenal. Here, Heather shows you my Bosch variable speed, which is excellent for cutting metal, plastic, acrylics and, of course, wood.

[​IMG]

The edges of your cuts, no matter what the tool you use, are going to have burrs and unevenness. The best way to deal with that is a full complement of files.

[​IMG]

A dremel is also a great tool, but certainly not the end-all, be-all of modding tools.

Grump

Last edited: 1 Feb 2019
  8. essjaytee

essjaytee emtarkanderundergunderson

A reply with both useful, unbiased, fact-based information AND CLEAVAGE. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the perfect post.

Grump likes this.
  9. Megadoomer

Megadoomer What's a Dremel?

i used some of those for a window i just made...you can make a nice straight cut that only needs a little bit of work once youre done...its not a bad tool for $8...i tend to use my dremel for things other then big things...i use it as a touching up tool

10. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

The dremel just takes the right bit and a lot of experiance. It'll get easier. Trust me. For long cuts (windows etc...) I use the exact jigsaw that Grump uses.