1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Keyboard mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Astrum, 10 Mar 2002.

1. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I was watching my girlfriend type today and I noticed how she typed. She never learned how to type with all 10 fingers (well technically 9 since you only use one thumb, the other just dangles). So she still looks at the keyboard. I remember when I was at that point many many years ago. I was thinking of a nice mod. Maybe not practical for making them learn to use a keyboard properly, but helpful. I was wondering if you could install an LCD sceen onto the top of the keyboard (my keyboard has an excess of room at the top, nothing at all is under it). All it would need is an LCD screen that has one row, and maybe a 5-7 digit length. Backlit of course. I was just wondering if it is even possible to do it. I'm not really sure how you would connect the LCD to the keyboard so that it knows what keys you are pressing. But just an idea. One of those flashes I get that I know I will never make.

AstrumProelaitor
    *DON'T READ THIS IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED!* My quotes are my feelings and views on life, I don't usually post these kinds of quotes, most of them are humorus, but it's something I feel I must say.
    "More people have killed in the name of God than in the name of Good."

2. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

You said that watching the keyboard while typing is bad, now you want to add an LCD to it to make sure you are watching it? ;)

I think there are software that help one to learn to use a keyboard more efficiently. Would like to think that these programs could be a better help.

If you want to make that mod. You could use a PIC chip to decode the serial signal that is going out from your keyboard and drive the LCD, all this done inside your keyboard.

3. relix

relix Minimodder

or just program a small windows application that sits in the tray icon bar, and processess all keys typed, then sends the info the the LCD through parallell / serial port...

4. unlucky2LUCKY

unlucky2LUCKY What's a Dremel?

you can get tons of freeware and shareware typing tutors and save some time and money and a wasted lcd to show ya that... honestly, there are dozens of better ways to use an lcd, and compared with the cost and time of installing an lcd for that purpose, you'd be way better off just downloading a free typing tutor.... oh, and one of the best ones i've used was the mavis beacon typing tutor. (way back in like the 9th grade when i got up outta my procrastination and wanted to learn to type right)

i'm not sure if it's still around, but the one i had worked great... wouldn't let you use the backspace key either, so that helped me get the words right instead of wrong and just hitting the backspace key all the time. :cool:

5. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

It was just one of those idea's. It isn't very practicle. But it would be kind of fun just to do. In either case, it doesnt matter. =).

AstrumProelaitor
    "I can't think of a quote tonight... Blah."

6. Chid

Chid What's a Dremel?

My friend painted his keyboard a nasty green colour.

:p

7. relix

relix Minimodder

I'm pretty much sick of this keyboard right now, as my mouse had ran off because of the ugly xerox mousepad that is now a black spot on the stones. More info? read the competition and linears thread! :D