1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Hifi system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChegsJAR, 14 Mar 2004.

1. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

Hi
    I currently have my pc plugged into my sony all in one type hifi (you know the one) its got front and back speakers and sounds pretty good.

I'm thinking of getting a amp so that I can get real surround sound. E.g. when I'm playing games you can hear where stuff is, where at the moment I just hear everything.

Is it possible to get an amp with opical in and take the opical out of my pc in the new amp?

If so any suggestions about price? I was thinking about £80 but that was just looking at richer sounds and don't really know what I need.

Thanks

EDIT: I also want to be able to plug my dvd player into it :)

Last edited: 14 Mar 2004
  2. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

yep, u can easily plug the optical cable into a suitable amp, (what soundcard u got btw).

the type of amp you want is one with built in 5.1 decoding the, really basic models might only have dolby digital but try and get one with DTS as well.

i dont think youll get anything great for £80, but there are some bargains in the £130-160 range.

Bear in mind youll be having to buy 5 speakers and possibly a subwoofer as well.
    iirc richer do basic speaker packs for around £100, but when you think your only paying £20 a speaker you can expect them not to be the best quality. One option is to buy a decent pair of fronts and then get the rest when you have a bit more cash

3. ChegsJAR

are Sony any good?
    I have found a few AV recievers which have
    Pro-Logic 2
    Pro-Logic
    Dolby Digital
    DTS

how much power do I need on the speakers?

4. ChegsJAR

I know the audio visual forum isn't as busy as the other so does anyone else have another forum for pc audio type stuff?

5. unrealrocks

unrealrocks What's a Dremel?

Sony - apart from CD players and TVs I'd stay away from, audio wise there pritty poor.

Some links to the recivers you've found would be good, dont forget your going to need speakers to go with the decoder as well ... if you've got a hifi with fronts and rears then you can probably use that ;)

6. ChegsJAR

I have just been looking at richersounds.

I was thinking of just using my current speakers.
    Then buying some good front speakers then upgrade nice back speakers and so on.

What are some other places to look to buy stuff? Looked at dixons and comet but they don't seem to have much of what I'm looking for

7. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

if you buy a decent amp, you might need to get new spearkers that will work with it, but as long as your current speakers have cables running out of them that should be fine...

as said above, id stay away from sony tbh, but marantz make good budget amps...