1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get XP to boot w/new 3200+

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Viper-one, 22 Mar 2004.

1. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

ah...didnt stop to think properly about mobo revision and whatnot...all these kids with far to good hardware...well better then mine... :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

what i was trying to say about the formatting, is that if you get a bunch of new hardware, you can never go wrong with formatting...windoze should run either way, but its always nice to format, and for that 20sec period inbetween having windoze and not having windoze is always nice to know that were not completly dependant??....maybe... :worried: :sigh: :wallbash:

2. Trickle

Trickle What's a Dremel?

The advent of decent NF2 boards along with £45 JUIHB chips that ramped up to over 2.1Ghz, now over a year ago. This ment that anyone then could afford a top of the line (back then) system. In addition, people were easily buying 2700 memory, relaxing the timings and running it over 200fsb at costs no different than this year.

Thats why I bought 2 new systems at the start of last year. There are good times to buy comp hardware and not so good times. As it stands, I've been getting the itchy feet and want to upgrade for the sake of it. But the simple facts are, there isnt anything worth jumping at currently and there isnt that much software about that needs a horsepower update. *shrug*

3. Trickle

Trickle What's a Dremel?

It could have been worse - you could have bought a KT400 board, or worse still, could have bought an Intel Celeron system at higher cost and worse performance.

There isnt much difference between my 180fsb A7N8X system and my old slightly better 215fsb NF7s system - trust me I gave my whole NF7s system to my brother for free as I no longer required 3 computers (over 6ghz) running Seti 24/7 any longer ;)

4. Viper-one

Viper-one What's a Dremel?

Didn't mean to cause a fuss of this magnitude!

:eeek: Didn't mean to cause a fuss of this magnitude! However, I am a firm believer in resale ... when you have the opportunity to sell your used goods for at least half the price of new replacements, you sell.

Yeah ... my v1.0 was doin good with the 2400+ and the 1.5gb ram. No complaints, except they were over a year old, and if I wanted to get any resale out of them, I had to do it now. We have a Computer-Fest show here in Dayton, OH twice a year. There are 750 booths occupied by 250 vendors. The guys at work know that I try to keep nice systems, so they usually ask me if I am upgrading before I have a chance to ask them if they are interested in buying. I had a buyer so I upgraded. Who know down the road.

Anyway, got the new board in Thursday. I was out of town on business last week and didn't fly in until late Friday night. Got the board installed today. Steps taken to get into XP:

1. Installed mobo.
    2. Booted up with everything connected (Roms, PCIs, printer, scanner. etc).
    3. Got the XP logo and logon screen (didn't before).
    4. Before XP would log me completely in, I had to register XP ... again. Well, I hadn't installed the NVidia Lan drivers yet, so I had to do a phone register. I called the number given, gave them the installation id number generated and input the one given back to me.
    5. Got into XP and loaded the Lan drivers.
    6. Rebooted.

Everything is going good. XP recognizes the cpu and ram correctly w/no problems. Didn't have to re-install.

Thanks guys for the assistance. Like I said before ... you guys :rock:

Viper-one

5. MrMacomouto

MrMacomouto What's a Dremel?

windaz is just shiutty cos u installed to much new hard ware it does this every time i install a new mobo found a way around this tho just b4 you upgrade tell windaz that it needs a repair installation and when it goes to reboot pull the power b4 the instalation starts and put ya new stuff in and it doesnt know the diffrence