1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding retarded question: mobo+paint=death?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bwebb, 24 Mar 2004.

1. bwebb

bwebb What's a Dremel?

Alright. This has likely been addressed somewhere else, but has anyone tried using a non-conductive type paint to paint a motherboard or components? I would assume that as long as it was kept to a light layer, it would allow for somewhat normal heat dispersal. Then again, I might also be retarded.

(I did a search for this on the forums and was distracted by piloux's Blackmesa HL2 project for an hour. :D )

2. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I've seen a few painted motherboards and other cards. As long as the paint doesn't conduct you will be ok. Also you have to cover all the PCI connectors, power connectors etc.

I don't think the paint will have too much affect on the conductiohn of heat. It will limit it but it shouldn't be too much.

3. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

4. bwebb

bwebb What's a Dremel?

Very spiffy...thanks for the info guys.

5. bistro

bistro What's a Dremel?

That has got to be one of the funkiest mods I've ever seen. :eeek: I have to give that guy credit for having big kahunas...there's no way in God's Little Green Acre would I try that on my present system...(or pick a yellow/silver color theme for that matter :hehe: ). Surprised he didn't use UV-reactive paint for that. I dunno...it just seems that would build up the heat considerably. I noticed that he painted over some jumper pins also. Whether i needed them or not, I wouldn't have done it....or painted over the contacts in the PCI slots. Has anyone else around here tried this?

6. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

how serious can heat build up be in an underclocked 233 ?

7. lamcdonald

lamcdonald What's a Dremel?

:D Actually it's overclocked... Stock is 189MHz :)

Thanks for the comments/compliments :D

I masked all the important stuff (PCI slots and most of the jumpers/headers). The paint is thin enough to transfer most of the heat into the air, none of the hot bits (bridges, regulators etc) get noticeably hotter than before :)

I have a K7S5A that's acting up a bit, but still usable if it will boot, so I may paint that next :naughty:

If I had the $$ I'd get an infrared thermometer and do some proper Before-and-After measurements just to see exactly what difference the paint makes. Unfortunately they're still around the $200 mark... :waah: