1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40gb SATA drives??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wip3out, 24 Mar 2004.

1. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

Im looking to set up a SATA RAID array however dont really need two 80GB drives as I already have 240GB in my second PC. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some 40Gb SATA drives in the UK??

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

never seen any...thasts a damn good question... :idea:

3. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

The 36GB WD Raptor comes in SATA form :)

4. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Yah, Never seen a 40 gig sata drive. I'm running 2 36 gig Raptors. and besides the 72 gig model These are probably the fastest drives your gonna find on the personal computer level

5. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

Id love to get two 36Gb Raptors however at 90 quid each its an expensive option.

Thanks anyway

6. TMM

TMM Modder

if you DID ever find any, they would be either 2nd hand, or would be close to the price of 80gb drives anyway. you get better value anyway. if price is really something to worry about, get one 80gb Sata and wait untill you can afford another, then backup and use raid ;)

i've only seen 60gb as the smallest sata's.. apart from raptors

7. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

I know it's take up a small amount of extra space, but could you not get 2 40Gb IDE drivers and use some of those cheap IDE to SATA bridges?

I'm pretty sure most SATA drives (well, I think ALL except the 10k models) are IDE drives with this bridge built into them anyway - so there'll be no change in performance.

Sweet

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The SATA convertors around (A-Bit Serielle for example) are a good option, buy two 40GB PATA ones and stick the convertors on them - not very good for super-speed but i doubt that's what you're looking for anyway...

Most SATA drives are indeed re-interfaced PATA drives, but the advantages are with the cabling being so much better really tbh: nothing annoys me more than plugging in a PATA drive to a crappy IDE cable :grr:.
    If it was me, i'd get two 76.6 GB Raptors and RAID those mothers :D. Other than that, i'd get a 36GB one - not quite as fast, but alovely drive nonetheless: no need for RAID with those beasties :)

9. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

D@mn, I posted yesterday, must not have showed up. Like wharrad and Krikkit said, you could get 40GB PATA drives and use adapters. I've searched high and low and don't believe that 40GB sata drives desktop drives exist. But I found 2.5" mobile drives that are 40GB sata drives. The Fujitsu Mobile MHT2040BH S150. Unfortuantely, they are only 5,400 RPM.

My best suggestion for you is to just go ahead and get one 80GB SATA drive. It will be faster and cheaper than two 40GB SATA drives.

10. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

You could probably get a single 160GB drive for the same price as two 40GB drives, I've seen 160GB SATA drives for just over £70

11. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

cool thanks I'll probably end up getting one 80Gb SATA eventually. I just got another 512Mb memory today and I transfer most of my data via my network anyway so I'll stick with my trusty IBM 60GXP Deskstar for now, 2 1/2 years later and still hasnt died on me. [​IMG]