1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Using one Dial Up connection over a network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SugarBear, 25 Mar 2004.

1. SugarBear

SugarBear What's a Dremel?

My friend came to me and told me that as a project his local church asked him to set up a bunch of computers, then they asked if he could get it so they could all use one dial up connection to get to the internet.

well he got all the computers set up, but he has no idea how to network them to share one connection.

here's what I'm assuming, you have one computer with the dial up, then use an ethernet card to go from it, to a router, then from the router to all the other computers via cat5 cable....is that about right?

once you've done that though, what do you need to set up so they actually share the internet, is it a windows setting, a router setting, or am I just completely wrong?

2. andyunder

andyunder What's a Dremel?

its a windows function. he wants to enable internet conection sharring on the network. it would be easier to use a switch/hub than a router.
    what version of windows is he using?

3. SugarBear

I think he said he was using all different types, he had one that was XP, one that was 9x and one that was....maybe NT, can't really remember

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Thats like trying to share a drop of water between 5 people, but if they really want to share their dial up account all youll need is a hub/switch. No hardware router is required for this as one computer will need to act as the server/router anyway. Just need to turn on ics on the host computer and the rest should pick it up if they are atleast 98se...Dont belive NT has ics abilities. Again I wouldnt suggest that he wastes his time though...

5. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

it can be done, but like many things in history TRUST ME it isnt worth doing.
    anyone here remember the old 2800bps modems? yeah it would be as bad if not worse then using that. talk them into getting a DSL line or a Cable line, no need to get a business class line like a T1. sure a T1 would be nice but a DSL or Cable line will do.

sharing a dial up connection with other computers is just a really BAAAAAAD idea. it will work, it can be done, it just shouldnt be.

6. Zapho

Zapho What's a Dremel?

That was how my internet connection was through most of my undergrad. Shared a 28.8 (at best, the phonelines were old) between 3 computers. We were running Win98, so I had a spare computer of mine sit in the closet connected to a hub that was constantly dialed in. And the rest of us were off that hub. We used a program called Sygate to share the connection. It wasn't free, but still fairly cheap. Worked just fine.

7. LaughingJon

LaughingJon What's a Dremel?

yes it can be done, yes it does work, okay its slow but if you dont have ADSL/Broadband and dont have the spare 10-20k for a leased line then it will suit your needs. (coming from a company who was based in the back of beyond in wales who didnt have DSL or owt and personally hosted a dialup connection for 4 teckies u just need patience) :D

To set this connection up you will need to.

Create the connection on the "server" PC. (the one with the modem)
    Once this is created right click on that connection and select properties.
    Under advanced you will see ICS (internet connection sharing)
    Tick the box which says (allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connecton)
    This will then give you the other options of (establish a dialup connection when ever a computer on my network attempts to access the internet etcetc) it will probably be a good idea to tick the 1st box and untick the 2nd.

Once you do that and enable it from memory that machine will reset its IP to be 192.168.0.1 and for ease of use as long as your other machines have their network cards setup to obtain their IP address automagically then they will be able to access the internet.

(on the NON server machines)
    right click network neighbourhood/local area connection (OS dependant) select properties.
    click Internet Protocol TCP/IP click properties
    then ensure that it is saying obtain IP address automatically.

If for some reason you find that those settings do not work you may need to supply manual IP addresses. keeping the form 192.168.0.** with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and then manually enter the gateway address (this will be available from your ISP).

Hope this helps and isnt too garbled.

Laters
    Jon

8. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Mostly right except the gateway address needs to be the machine connected to the modem ie. 192.168.0.1

9. LaughingJon

lol is it... :worried:

i errrrrr blame ...... carling :D that and it has been a good while since i set that kinda config up :D

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Got to say thanks to LaughingJon for this, since were still waiting on BB being activated on this line this has helped a lot.

OK its slow, but its a connection.

Cheers.

11. LaughingJon

hehe no worries.. roll on your BB connection tho :D

12. SugarBear

thing is, there is no broadband available there, not cable, or DSL, or even Satellite, and even if there were they're a run down church with no money.

thanks a ton though for the tips on splitting up the dial up, I don't think you know what it's going to mean to them

Tags: