1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Lightning (formerly project t3h c4s3) *56k Alert*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by vaiomutatorman, 29 Mar 2004.

1. vaiomutatorman

vaiomutatorman What's a Dremel?

Hey all, Had some problems getting the pics off of TF last night, so here they are tonight. These are the pics Ive got so far condensed into one post If you wanna see the full work log its at TwistedForums and you can find it here: http://twistedforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11590

Anyway, here ya go! These are pics of the starting point, its an ancient AT case, Im converting it into ATX and giving it a theme.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the pattern I worked out for the side panel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's some junk I found, Im gonna be using it for test fitting and experimentation. Shown is 3 AT power supplies, an ancient soundblaster CD-ROM drive, a 3.5 floppy drive, and a WD Caviar 340 megabyte hard drive.
    [​IMG]

Pics of the 1st cuts, this is the first real dremel work Ive made, I think ive done well. Here are some before shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The weapon of choice:
    [​IMG]

Remember Kids, safety first! Always wear safety glasses and gloves while working with metal. You wouldnt want to cut your finger or get a peice of metal in your eye.
    [​IMG]

The 1st cut: (cue dramatic music)
    [​IMG]

Cutting out the side to make room for an ATX motherboard. I used a dremel for the fine details.
    [​IMG]

And a jigsaw for the notso fine: (thanks dad for letting me use it)
    [​IMG]

Halfway there:
    [​IMG]

The blowhole, Im gonna center it in the front of the case:
    [​IMG]

C'est finit:
    [​IMG]

Got some extra parts from a friend of mine, they should be useful for the AT/ATX conversion. Also he gave me another frame that I'll probably for my next mod
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks clay!
    [​IMG]

The PSU and an ATX motherboard cannot peacefully coexist, so the PSU is gonna be mounted on he front of the case with its fan turned to be exhaust. Theres gonna be intake fans too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are pics of cutting the side panel, this is my solution to the "the side panels are really just a 3 sided thing" problem. I cut out the side panel, leaving a little bit lef. . . um hangin. . . um. . . just check the pic.
    [​IMG]

And heres the window halfway done. I ran out of cut off discs, so I gotta go get more before I can continue.
    [​IMG]

This is as soon as I finished the cut, I havnt cleaned it up or anything. Btw go easy, this is my first window cut.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, Here are some pics of the paint process, sanding off the original paint would have gone A LOT slower if Dad hadnt come to the rescue again.
    [​IMG]
    I wonder what excuses he's used to justify getting all these nice tools to my mom? Oh well, at least I get to use them.

Pics of the panels after I sanded them. They look sweet, but thats not what I had planned with them. :twisted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are some pics of the window with 1 and 2 coats of primer. I would post pics of the other part primer(ed?) but I forgot to take them.
    http://www.fandf.us/computer/panelprimer1.jpg[img]
    [img]http://www.fandf.us/computer/panelprimer2.jpg

Last but not least, pics of the 1st coat of yellow. I used duplicolors chrome yellow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pics really dont do it justice, it looks abso-****in-lutley amazing. Here ya go ladies and gentlemen, enjoy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I painted this mouse to match the theme, gonna do a keyboard to match. Still works too!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, thats the end for now, all of that work was done over spring break. Im back at school now, work shall continue once I get home for the summer though, so have no fear. Ive got plans for this case, oh yes, big plans. :dremel:

2. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Not bad... the side panel lightning )of what ever that is) looks good, the top of the window is not straight though, that is ik since the paint is already applied. Good work though

3. vaiomutatorman

Wow, you guys are showing a massive amount of enthusiasm, it's astounding.

4. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Looks pretty slick! I like Yellow - It's the new red ya know! :hehe:

Hey, is that an Austin Healy in the background?!?!

5. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

pretty neat paintjob :thumb: cant wait to c further enhanements

i was wondering tho, couldn't you have made the outline of the window black so that the lighning bolt looks more flashy? just a thought... guess its too late for that now =)

6. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Idea: Yellow UV paint (Although I think blue would look better, because that is the actual color of lighting.. blue/white anyways) on the lightning, have the whole case painted with gloss black first, then coat the bolt with UV paint, and have a blacklight somewhere near the case, and.. under the case have UFO lighting ;)

BTW - Looks GREAT so far, nice job!

7. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

looks good man...i dont think you said it, but what paint did you use??
    ?????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

????

8. vaiomutatorman

Dupli-Color white primer, and Chrome Yellow for the side pannel. Gloss black and chrome yellow for the rodent.

9. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Nice cuts on the lightening there, bro! Good choice of colors too!

Looking forward to what happens next!

I am intrigued on how you plan on getting that PS unit and the mobo to coexist inside that case now.... and use the panels that you have painted and committed to.

Keep it up!
    :thumb:

10. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

Wouldnt it be simpler to get a smaller mobo, than re-locating the PSU??

11. 3vil-Grin

3vil-Grin What's a Dremel?

Sweet paint job!! Looks very smooth and clean!!!

Though I think you should paint the frame...maybe a glossy black!? My opinion of course. Cuz it would be a great offset from the bright yellow.

Whatever you do looks good man. I have to AT case in my laundry room collecting dust till i have a good idea what i am gonna do with them. I'll keep watch on yours to see how you fair with the conversion and go from there.

:rock: :dremel:

12. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Update... Please :baby: :baby: :baby:

I also think that the dual color on the sides would look good (and maybe give you a chance to clean up the top straight cut a little... good luck