1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Using a transformer in close proximity to hdd

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Munterofamodder, 1 Apr 2004.

1. Munterofamodder

Munterofamodder What's a Dremel?

Hey all, I building a computer at the mo which will have a seperate 12V supply as well as an ATX psu - this is going to be for an internal amplifier, (several) fans and lighting and a pic control circuit. I have chosen to use a transformer based (ie not switch mode) PSU mainly for cheapness and ease; the transformer is a standard style 60VA output (square not torroidal, about 7cm cubed).
    Can this be placed close to a motherboard and perhaps more significantly a HDD or will radiated magnetic fields be a problem? Ideally, I'd like to have this about 1cm (!) from HDD end and 2cm above PCI slots on mobo (space is tight!). Would this be okay, or am i just plain mad :worried: ?

2. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

depends entirely on the quality of the sheilding of each components, and on the make of HDD, if its a Maxtor or Fujitsu, odds are not very high, as these manifactures have the noterity of skimping on costs releated to relaiablility.

3. Munterofamodder

at the moment it is a seagate series 5 (30Gb\5400, has a 'Seashield' cover). The transformer is unshielded.
    what i might do is test it with an old 1.6Gb hdd or something for a few hours; if it does damage i spose the loss will not be as great. Do you think it will affect mobo' at all though? My guess is it certainly wouldn't cause long term damage, but if this is wrong please let me know before i bust it!

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

i can't say it won't, in an idel world it wouldn't!

As for testing with an HDD get some cluster verification software (even more devistating than a low level format). Some BIOS'es used to have them built in but very very few now (non scsi ones) doo.

That would be a great way of finding any read/write errors.

5. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

You know it will be running at 60hz so you could make a faraday cage specificly ment for 60 hz (50hz if you are in the UK.)

6. Munterofamodder

faraday cage? please enlighten me! what parameters would i need to know etc?