1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding beep speaker

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kh15, 6 Apr 2004.

1. kh15

kh15 What's a Dremel?

would it be okay if i mounted that speaker on the bottom of my case in the two 3.5'' slots i have empty because i'm doing a mod and i need to move it but i know that the speaker has a magnent in it and thats freaking me out because i dont want it screwing up any of my drives and what not?

2. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Some acrylic cases have them on the bottom, so i'm sure that it would be fine.

3. kh15

kh15 What's a Dremel?

no my bad, i meant take it out of the bottom of my case and put mount it in the two empty 3.5'' bays i have?

4. rb6freak

rb6freak What's a Dremel?

Well the speaker is a magnet, so don't put it too close to any hard drives or anything like that. Give it 2 or so inches away from drives and you should be fine.

5. kh15

kh15 What's a Dremel?

yea but i belive the magnent on it is shielded which i have no clue what that means

6. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

its the fero-magnetic field on the magnet is shielded thus it shouldn't interfere with any computer devices unless you like store your open face hard drives on top of it. there should be no problem with a magnet of that size being any closer to the hard drives then it is now.

7. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

just get rid of it it's not required and its causing too much hassle lol just yank that dog outta there

8. poody

poody What's a Dremel?

The magnets inside the hard drive itself is bigger than any magnet could be in a PC speaker, unless you've got some gigantor powered 8" subwoofer for a speaker...

9. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

that is sorta untrue, the magnets in my speakers are alot bigger than the ones in my hdd's, the hdd's magnets are designed so that they dont affect the platters but the magnets in speakers can be used to kill hdd's.
    some speakers are shielded and they are ok, but most arent.

10. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

just swap it for a pietzo*sp? buzzer all it needs to do is beep, it doesnt have to be particularly loud or high sound quality or anything

11. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Piezo Buzzer/Sounder :baby:

Same thing as I was going to recommend. Much smaller too :)

12. poody

poody What's a Dremel?

But do you keep your speakers inside your case right next to the hard drive? He's talking about the little tiny PC speaker in your case that goes beep when you start the computer up, I bet that thing doesn't even have half a watt.

About the magnet in your drive, take a look at this (down at the bottom), and that's just from a laptop drive. I have this really old PC speaker that's got a large magnet and is unshielded, and it can't even hold up a paper bag. It's rated on the back for a half watt.

13. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I agree with twunka. just get rid of it. So far I have gotten rid of that and my hdd activity and power lights. Frivolous stuff in my case.

14. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

Most speakers that one would buy for their computer are shielded, correct? I would certainly hope that the one inside the computer is shielded.

15. Manitowic999

Manitowic999 What's a Dremel?

It's too weak to worry about. You could pull the cover off the hard disk, stick it to the platter, and only have to worry about scratching it. Plus I've seen mounting tabs for speakers on the bottom of harddrive cages.

16. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Wouldn't suggest actually trying that, but yeah, it's too weak to affect anything really.

17. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

i would just take the magnet or speaker out! my wire brok on my speaker inside stil have not fixed...actully thinkin about it i might just remove it all together !

18. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

'standard' PC speaker is 8Ohms, .25W

-J