1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster fun things to do with a HDD, you name the best and ill do it :D

Discussion in 'Modding' started by P2D, 6 Apr 2004.

1. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

as title really, i was just fiddeling with a 6GB hdd and whoops, dropped it on the floor :waah: then it makes a ratteling sound when u shake it, so instead of making sure it was broken i just got a skrewdriver and *operated* on it, aftyer playing with the platters for 10 mins i decied to come here and post this to find the "most fun way of killing a harddisk drive" i could throw it outta a car window at 60MPH, or drop things onto the 5400rpm platters and see how much it hurts, i could do pretty much anything, so whats the *ABSOLUTE* best way to make sure its 100% dead

P2D

2. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

^actually, if anyone has any good ideas on how to mod it somehow that would be good aswell, right? anyways post mods or destruction ideas.. thanks

P2D

3. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

Cut holes in the platters and put LEDs under them, when spinning it would give an awesome effect.

4. Manitowic999

Manitowic999 What's a Dremel?

5. vaiomutatorman

vaiomutatorman What's a Dremel?

Ohhh good idea!! I might have to do that one.

(grr makin me edit, ^^^talkin bout the LED idea ^^^)

My idea is whack it repeatedly with a hammer, into the tiniest bits you can possibly imagine.

OR

Mod a a male molex connector straight onto a wall outlet plug (whatever style, dunno if your US or UK or something else) and then stand WAY back and plug it in (I suggest using an extension cord, you can stand away from the wall and the HDD) I bet that would be interesting. Actually yeah, do that, ive done the hammer thing, its kind of tedious.

6. curme

curme Minimodder

I've always though it would be groovy to do THIS. Use a real Harddrive as an IDE activity indicator. Compliments of ZapWizard. Damn he's good.

7. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

How about getting some kind of psu and feeding more and more voltage to the motor that rotates the platters ;) See if you can get them spinning fast enough to shatter ;)

8. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

How about removing enough of the HDD casing so the platters stick out like a wheel. Add a couple of stablizing wheels to the front or rear (so you have a triangle formation of wheels, the platters making one of them at the apex point).

For propulsion, strap a large toy/home made rocket to it. Add some wings for down force and stability. Then fire off down a long straight road/car park into high speed oblivion!!!

Go Speedracer, GO!!! :rock:

9. demonstalker

demonstalker What's a Dremel?

drill small hole in side of casing (1/8" or so), insert cannon wick, remove top, fill with pyrodex, screw top back on. Then go outside somewhere safe and such, light wick and run like hell.

10. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

It would be fun to do that, but it is too bad that HDDs use a motor where an IC sends pulses to 3 or 4 coils under the platter to move the platter around.

I wanted to do something like that to one of my junk HDDs

If you can hack the motor control IC, it would be neat to drill a pattern into the platter, and have a strobing led, that varies in rate to make it do different things.

11. ajack

ajack rox

Eat it.

12. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Even the most knackered hard drive is useful for something. Recycle it!!! I dismantled a couple of my old ones, and using the motor, the read - head bearings, two tins of sweetcorn, and the remanants of an old metal - rod construction kit, I made a miniature 1:10 scale savonius wind turbine. It used to live on my windowsill and charged AA batteries. (one at a time) :D

I think I watched too much 'Blue Peter' when I was younger...

Otherwise, if you've ever seen one of those toy 'guns' that fires rings of foam, see if you can convert it to fire its disks at a target. I've considered doing that myself in the past, but don't have time for these things anymore. :sigh:

I personally have done something (unintentionally) to a working 10 gig hard drive - dropped it out a third floor window! Left it on my windowsill, (window open) during an upgrade. Wind blew curtain into the room, tattered bottom edge of curtain got snagged on hdd, curtain got blown out of room, dragged hdd with it. :waah: Was suprisngly boring. hit the concrete patio below with a thud. hardly even dinted it. When it was powered up it was unreadable (suprise suprise) but it would still spin just fine. So chucking it around would probably be dissapointingly boring.

And no. Don't eat it, it'll give you indigestion.

13. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

heh,i opened it up and got a pen and drew all over it..looks reallycool..but it still spins..UGH..keep posting the ideas there funny:D i like the "eat it"idea..if it wasent made of steel i would..

14. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

bolt/tie it to a rope, then tie the other end of it to your car, then drive around town or on the freeway. I would love to see video of someone doing that :hehe:

15. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

^i dont think it would be that good to be honest..

16. mikey

mikey What's a Dremel?

i wld microwave it... and film it for here :)

but i microwave everything :) :) so far gone through 4 microwaves :) in about 2years :) ...there so god damn fun... BUT B SAFE THEY CAN KILL... do all the usual microwave fun safety measures !

l8tr

17. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Fry It!!!!

18. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

just pull it apart and wire a + and - 5v to the motor coils.then run.fast.away from it.

19. TMM

TMM Modder

20. Savatage

Savatage What's a Dremel?

You could always take a cutting torch to it and melt it into one blob of metal that you could use at a paper weight or bookend :naughty: