Graphics Hot fire sinks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ducarii, 10 Apr 2004.

1. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

I just got some heatsinks for my ram on my gfx card, and most people I've heard that got them said they felt the sinks and they were cooler than the ram they had there that was bare before. When I touch my heatsinks, I wouldn't be kidding when I said they are hotter than the ram was before, significantly, like 80f hot, to hot to keep your finger on hot, this can't be normal can it. I'm not overclocked either. :worried:

2. ibemonty2000

ibemonty2000 What's a Dremel?

You should have some fans blowing on those heatsinks.

-Monty

3. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I was just wondering about that, since i put them on I've been getting like 10x more crashes in my game running at stock speeds. without a fan on them is it just like having hot metal on the card vs air? Do the sinks only work if they have air blowing on them, is that the deal?

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

if the heatsinks are hot that means they are working
    more heat they absorb, means less heat on the ram

5. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Well thats what I would have thought, but considering I'm crashing much, much more now that I was without the sinks, and had to under-clock my vid card below factory settings I would half to say it requires a fan vs not required.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

the ram chips will be cooler with passive heatsinks than with no heatsinks at all, they will be cooler again if more airflow is directed at them

unless they are made out of plastic or you used a glue stick to attatch them, they will be doing a better job than no heatsinks at all :)

it is possible that you damaged the card in another way when putting them on mebbe :eyebrow:#

the idea of a heatsink is that it absorbs the heat from the item in question and allows it to dissipate over a much breater surface area, so instead of around 1cm square to dissipate the heat without a heatsink the surcase area is multiplied many times and heat can be dissipated more quickly

7. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

How did you attach the heatshinks? epoxy, tape?

If it was with a expoy that it conductive there is a good chance you broke it with that. Ive hosed 2 GFX cards with Arctic Silver 2 changing the heatsink :wallbash: This time, Im using arctic silver ceramique. :D

8. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Well, I have Arctic silver 5 but I decided to use some of the thermal pads that were included because of an earlier topic saying it wouldn't help that much, so I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but I suppose I could have damaged the card somehow, although I tried to be vary careful.

9. Monster63385

Monster63385 What's a Dremel?

Its also possible that there is too much epoxy and its acting a little bit like an insulator. but most likely you might of zapped it a little bit while you were adding the heat sinks.

Tags: