1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a serious problem, and i need help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xtrm2Matt, 10 Apr 2004.

1. Xtrm2Matt

Xtrm2Matt What's a Dremel?

I hope i'm allowed to post these, i don't want to have to type it all up again :wallbash:..

http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?sid=&postid=288410
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17207421&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

Ok, if you goto them 2 links, that's basically the story. Here it is again..

Ok, so i've tried all the basic things..:

1) Clearing CMOS
    2) Resetting CMOS
    3) Running "barebone", only 1 Harddrive, Floppy Drive, 1 CD-RW, CPU, 1 Stick of ram, Graphics Card and Sound Card.
    4) Trying a different Monitor
    5) Trying a different PSU
    6) Cooling it - I thought it was overheating.
    7) Putting each ram stick in on it's own, in a differnt slot each time
    8) Tried about everything else i could think off.

I got an S-Bracket with my motherboard that shows faults with the PC Harddware. This is what mine showed..:

1=RED || 2=GREEN || 3=RED || 4=RED

..which means:

Now i've been told to buy each of the following (by different people)

a) New Motherboard
    b) New Ram

I REALLY need help with this, if i buy a new motherboard and it's my Ram, well, basically i'm fu*ked.

Thanks in advanced,

Matt. :idea:

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Can you test the cpu/ram/gfx in another pc at all?

3. Xtrm2Matt

Nope :duh:

The PC i'm using at the moment is pretty old.. 700MHz, no APG, only SD-Ram (as far as i'm aware). Only things i have spare are an PSU (about 2 years old, i tried that and still the same) and an AMD Athlon 1800+ XP.

EDIT:

Also, i tried my old Graphics Card (GeForce 4 MX440 128MB) and it was still the same. (I currently have a GeForce FX 5600XT 256MB (MSI)).

EDIT #2:
    Ok i gotta' go now, but PLEASE!! keep posting suggestions. So far i've had basically the same ideas and i REALLY want to know if i have to get a new motherboard or new ram!

Last edited: 10 Apr 2004
  4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

the ONLY way (as far as i'm aware) to test what the problem is is to get the bits into another pc if possible. Swap CPU/Ram out if you can (seems gfx is ok as the same issue occurs with another card)
    take it you've tried a clear cmos, reseating cpu, cchecking atx connectors etc...

5. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

have you tried checing the monitor on the machine that your using at moment

also have you tried putting the ram from the machine your having problems with into the machine your using downstairs to see if it works in that machine

6. mikey

mikey What's a Dremel?

had the very same error about the memory hangin... on my board and i went with the replace MoBo which worked :)

but to b on the safe side u must hav a friend who u can test ur memory in ?
    if not i wld gamble with a new MoBo cuz if it was memory wldnt u get the memory beeps! ?

anywayz good lwk :)

PS: read my thread when i had this problem it may help :) Linky

7. Xtrm2Matt

This PC uses SD-Ram so my DDR is no use to test it here.

I havern't tried my old AMD 1800+ XP (it has 2500+ XP Barton atm).

Ok, that problem in your thread looks pretty much like mine (no Monitor signal). I also read about the CMOS and leaving it on the "Clear Data" while trying to turn it on... i did that :duh: But it doesn't say in the manual.. it just say's "Put the Jumper to Clear Data" so i did! Didn't say put it back after so many seconds!

So, i take it that my Mobo's fu*ked?? (i need to double check this, then double check it again!)

Last edited: 11 Apr 2004
  8. mikey

mikey What's a Dremel?

no need to double check...

if u powered up while CMOS jumper was set to clear u'r MoBo f**cked for sure m8 :(

i wld save ur self the hassle and jus go get a DFI Infinty for like £50-£60 m8 :)

ltr :hip:

9. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

If your CMOS jumper was set to clear when you booted it should do no damage to the mobo. They are designed with some common sence in mind. YOu cannot destry a mobo just by changing settings. I would go with a mobo problem though as it is not starting up and you have tryed 3 stick of memmory. However just to be sure see if you can check your memmory on someone elses board.

10. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

I did that on my nf7-s by accident (was working in near darkness) but it just switched it back and all was fine :)

11. mikey

mikey What's a Dremel?

mine died... and i was told (see linky to thread above) that by bootin with jumper set to clear CMOS kills the MoBo :(

only repeatin wot i was told :( .... :eyebrow:

ltr :hip:

12. Xtrm2Matt

Thats understandable, but i need to make sure it IS my motherboard, as i'm not the one paying for it. Which mobo do you suggest? At the moment my heart is set on the nForce one for £65

13. mikey

mikey What's a Dremel?

i have had quite a few MoBo's but when my one died last week i got the DFI Infinity Ultra like i was advised on here and wldnt change it for the world! the CMOS backup function and amount of BIOS options is excellent.... bit of a shame the north bridge only had a heatsink on as my last MoBo has a heatsink and fan on it ...but i simple transfered that ova to this MoBo .. :)

gwd luck m8 :)

14. Xtrm2Matt

I just had a look at that motherboard and it looks alright actually. £3 ish cheaper too :thumb:

15. Xtrm2Matt

Ok, i just tried something new. I pulled out the motherboard from my case, then put it on my desk. I removed EVERYTHING, except CPU/Heatsink. I then re-added my Graphics Card (APG) then turned it on. Nothing. If it works, it would have clearly stated on-screen it required ram (or no ram detected)..

My new motherboard will be: Abit NF7-S v2.0 nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard

Thanks for all your help guys.. can't believe i have to buy a new motherboard :waah:

~ Matt

16. rio2

rio2 What's a Dremel?

if you wont change matherboar is very low cost and support sdram and ddr this mobo ecs k7s5apro+duron 1800 in italy 60 euro in total is upgrade economly for you pc.check you power supply.by :D :D :D

17. Xtrm2Matt

I've tried 2 different PSU's in my PC, both had the same result. (Nothing..)

18. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Good choice with the NF7. Not got the options of the DFI, but seems easier to setup.
    Clear Cmos wise, different boards behave different ways. Some are fine if booted when set to clear, others arent. The Jetway board in this PC doesnt boot if set to clear....