1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Water from the FUTURE!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Disgone, 14 Apr 2004.

1. Disgone

Disgone What's a Dremel?

Dry Water

Imagine the possiblities you can do with this stuff....
    :naughty:

2. shred444

shred444 What's a Dremel?

thats the most interesting thing ive seen in a while. wonder what it tastes like or what the chemical formula is made up of.

3. Jim_Mcneat

Jim_Mcneat What's a Dremel?

It seems to me like water with highly boosted surface tension, still extremely intriguing, but I have doubts that it could be used in PC's. Would have a tendancy to clog and flow slower, if it is what I think it is.

4. shred444

shred444 What's a Dremel?

wait, your saying that this liquid is a think syrup like substance?

5. Disgone

Disgone What's a Dremel?

If only I was up early enough and watched Good Morning America :\

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nope, if it "looks" like water and can be employed in sprinklers, its viscosity is most likely like that of water.

What Jim_Mcneat is saying is that it appears to have a high surface tension. It'll bead together much like e.g. mercury does (or water of a duck's back... :p), which means that it won't soak into anything. It also sounds like it's non-conductive.

The reason that it wouldn't be suitable for PC watercooling much, is not that it would clog the system or flow slower (it won't) but that its surface tension would prevent good contact being made with the water block surface (that's the whole idea behind its application, after all). Thus its thermal transfer properties would be grossly impeded. Remember that one of the things we use things like Water Wetter for is to reduce surface tension and increase thermal transfer performance... this liquid would achieve the opposite effect.

7. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

Sounds kinda like that flourinert stuff that 3M makes... I can still remember a trade show I went to about 4 years ago, this rep at a 3M booth had 19 inch crt running a screensaver and submerged in an aquarium full of the stuff. There was a crowd of about 50 people around the booth like this: :jawdrop:

EDIT: BTW, this is also being discussed here

Last edited: 15 Apr 2004
  8. TMM

TMM Modder

hmm :) wonder what the cooling properties are like :p

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

duplicate threads merged :)

10. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

11. crazy cuban

crazy cuban What's a Dremel?

12. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

im still wondering what it tastes like......

13. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

I wonder how expensive it is and how hard to make. If they can use it in sprinkler systems couldn't the fire dept. use it in their trucks, too? I'd think alot of the damage when a fire breaks out is also caused by the water soaking everything while putting it out. If they could get it in a large enough quantity to blast housefires with, the things that didn't burn might at least be saved from water damage. And I wonder what this water is good for putting out, if it can put out say grease, chemical, or even more so electrical fires. And how long will it be they start putting this stuff in fire extinguishers.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Look dudes, this "dry water" is NOT fluorinert.

Of Fluorinert? Less specific heat transfer ability than water, but it has a higher density which compensates for this to some extent.

Of this "dry water" stuff? As mentioned above, due to its high surface tension, probably pretty dismal.

Tags: