1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Built!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by DeathAwaitsU, 23 Apr 2004.

1. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Right i have just redecorated my room in chinese wallpaper and layed a wooden floor and i was gonna get a joiner in to build me a desk to my specs, a wardrobe (built into an alcove) and maybe a stand for my stereo. Ive been tryin 2 get hold of a joiner for ages (one that someone knows so maybe they will do it a bit cheaper :thumb: ) but i cant find annnnyyyone and ive been told that i will have to pay extortionate (spelt right? :confused: ) prices for just a wardrobe so i figure F**K it i'll build em myself so i need your help :D

Firstly i need to design the wardrobe, desk and stand, i could draw them by hand as i did graphical communication last year on an Engineering course, (along with CAD\CAM, fabrication, machining etc.. possible home made w\c blocks any1?? :naughty: (if i can be arsed lol)). But i really dont want to draw it, i'd rather do a 3d model of it on computer. But i don't know what program to use to acheive this, so what programs could i use?????? I can get hold of almost any program (i say any cuz garanteed someone will say one that i cant :p )

Secondly what tools would i need for this???? i can think of: Circular Saw?, Hacksaw, Drill, Screws, Wood glue etc... So what else would i need?

And thirdly is building it which i reckon i'll be able to do lol, The desk is gonna cater for my pc that i'm beginning to build, cd's etc... my decks which im gettin in a few months, smoking paraphinelia (can u guess what i mean? :hip: ) and storage. Any info required or that you wish to know just ask :thumb: all help will be greatly appreciated as i would like to get started as soon as possible, Thanx

Death

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I use Lightwave for 3D modelling. It's not the most user friendly modeller, but you'll probably know someone who has it, and it's very powerful.

A plane (hand or electric) would be useful for getting doors to fit properly etc.
    A good hand panel saw as well as a circular saw.
    Chisel(s) for fitting locks and latches inside doors
    filler for hiding screw heads (can be stained and/or varnished afterwards)

Probably a shed more you'll need.....Ask me again when I'm awake... LOL

3. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Don't really have any advice, j/w wtf is a joiner? :eyebrow: Some UK thing no doubt? (I assume its a carpenter or something like that?)

4. Pookeyhead

Correct... carpenter, joiner.. same thing.

5. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

6. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

3D studio Max

or

Alias wavefront

tbh.

7. Pookeyhead

I forgot about sketchup... that's probably best. Lightwave is a bit complicated for this type of thing.

8. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Why dont you just go to ikea and buy a wardrobe? It'll not cost you a lot more than parts, and it'll be a lot easier :)

Sam

9. DeathAwaitsU

Cuz all the wardrobes i've seen i dont like and i aint seen one yet that will fit in 2 the alcove, also all the desks ive seen are either to low or too wide and wouldnt fit but according to my g/f i'm just a picky f**ker :hehe: i guess i just get sumthin stuck in my mind and won't settle for anything less than that :D i'll "acquire" those progz as soon as and start to build it then post the results on here, any help i need usin them i'll let u know :thumb:

Death

10. BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy What's a Dremel?

A jointer, by my definition, is a machine that has a long, narrow table with a set of knives in the middle. You just run the board thru and it takes off a little thickness. Kind of the same effect as a planer. If you are just starting out with no tools at all, the things you need the most are probably a table saw, a good miter saw, a router, and a good cordless drill.

11. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

a joiner by definition is basically a carpenter.

12. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

There's no basically about it :D

A joiner= a carpenter

Sam

13. meanpc

meanpc What's a Dremel?

I though a joiner, the machine variety, had cutting knives that cut groove into wood so that it could be joined together using those wooden biscuits or some other material.

14. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Joiner = Chippy

15. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

AutoCad? thats seems the ideal program for technical designs..

but I would recommend pencil and paper...

L

Good luck
    post some pics

16. DeathAwaitsU

I was thinking AutoCAD myself but wasnt sure i got work tonight and tomorrow so i'll get started on thursday night :thumb:

Death

17. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Have to admit I thought generally a joiner was more 'skilled' at detail work than a carpenter. I know you cant call yourself a joiner without going through an apprenticeship, but anyone can call themselves a carpenter *shrug*

Add to your list of tools some large cramps - I don't just mean G-Cramps but sash cramps; longer the better.

Also remember small things like: a decent long straight edge, pencils (not biro!) a level, set square, tenon saw, rip/cross cut saw;

18. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

What you are describing is a biscuit joiner, it's a handheld tool with a horizontal oriented blade that slides in the wood and creates a pocket for biscuits to be glued in and create a same-plane joint.

There are other types of joiners though. Typically a joiner is a stand up machine that has a set of blades and acts as a specialized router table arrangement. Its most common use is to make sure board stock is perfectly straight.

Planer - makes board stock perfectly flat
    Joiner - makes board stock perfectly straight

Different blades can be loaded in most joiners to create grooves for other types of joints etc.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I thought a Carpenter was more skilled than a joiner, as there are a lot of joiners around who aren't particularily skilled but it's rare to find a proper carpenter and usually they have a lot of skill indeed (build detailed/complicated/difficult things from wood) e.g. a canal boat with a wooden hull or something *shrug*

20. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

I thought a chippy was a brick-layer?