1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weirdest Computer Oddities?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RotoSequence, 24 Apr 2004.

1. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

What is the weirdest thing you have experienced with computers?

I just discovered that my speakers are picking up a local Radio Station, even when the speakers are muted! :jawdrop:

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Talkative lot, arent you? :blah:

3. ubernewber

ubernewber What's a Dremel?

its not really a oddity, more like my own stupidity
    i was replacing the switch on a AT computer (ya know the 4 wires go directly from the ps to the switch.) well i forgot to unplug the supply, the wires hit against the metal motherboard tray and i saw this massive spark ball or whatever. i didnt excpect that from what is it 12 volts? computer worked just dandy after i unpluged it and replaced the switch though.

nothing really wierd i can think of.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I had that once. Quite common I think - Just a diode rectifying the signal. I once had a russian am station on mine for a few months during the last sunspot maximum... not heard it since.

Can you imagine being one of those peeps that has a metal tooth filling that rectifies RF in their head? :hehe:

5. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Repeat the following phrase: I am lucky to be alive! I am lucky to be alive!

AT supplies run full mains voltage to the switch :duh:

6. Pookeyhead

I know... found out the hard way when I built my first system. I was OK, but my cheap digital watch said 88.88:88 aftwards.

7. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

yeah i used to be able to pick up raf notholts control tower on my speaker, think my tv tuner card might have ah something to do with it.... :confused: lol.

8. TMM

TMM Modder

This may sound VERY weird, but i have found if i stand in a corner and turn my head on the right angle i can hear weird sounds. One time i could hear the neighbours argueing over something and if i normally walked around the house i could hear NOTHING, dead silent... No i am not mad, its just fact
    :eeek: :eeek:

oh, a werid thing relating to computers... my geforce2 gfx card overclocked further withOUT the heatsink... :idea: :eyebrow:

9. Pookeyhead

You ARE the child of Satan... or perhaps some weird accustics in one corner of your room :D

10. TMM

TMM Modder

lol, yer. I actually came across it when i was sitting on the couch (in the corner) and watching tv, when i though "whats that funny, sound? sounds like people in the garage" Sure enough when i stood up out of the chair it was silent :p and there was noone in the garage lol. I usually have my room window open, but the TV + couch isn't in my room lol. probably sound echoing off the wall at the right angle :p

11. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

I can hear my phone on my speakers/headphones, such that I can tell (before it rings) if I'm getting a phone call or an sms.

12. TMM

TMM Modder

Yer, almost all speakers/headphones do the usual buzzing with mobile phones. My crt screen jumps really funky when i get an sms/call lol
    :rock:

13. Kryai

Kryai What's a Dremel?

mine

not really that wierd but most frustrating problem i've ever had with a comp!

It would constantly reset out of nowhere at random. I spent hours trying to figure out what piece was going wrong :wallbash: , i reinstalled XP virus check for blaster worm posibility checked multiple parts, bought a new power supply... Turns out after about having the problem off and on for 3 months that i realized it was the on/off switch! sometimes it would get stuck and after being stuck for a few seconds restart the comp for me. The main reason for its intermitancy was because if you touch the switch there was a chance to fix it or break it unknowingly. It didn't shutdown the computer either so i never linked it to the switch being stuck. It was never stuck the entire way to shutdown but only 1/2 stuck into a wierd restart mode! Once i did finally find out the issue i was most certainly cursing myself :duh:

14. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

benn there, done that, only it shorted on my finger not the case :wallbash: luckily the cirtcuit breakers on the workbench kicked in as did the ring for the workshop and the ring main :D

15. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

temps change whem external harddrive is "off" - "on"

There something very weird on my pc now.

When my external harddrive is on (Lacie 120gb 7200rpm 8mb cache USB 2.0)
    I get Idle 38° and stressed 45° on my cpu, and when my external harddrive stands off i get 32°Idle and stressed 39°.
    I don't understand a damn thing about it.
    Is it possible that the external harddrive is asking cpu power and is that the reason why my cpu is getting warmer (hard to believe but...)??

Any idea why this is happening ???

16. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Anything involving USB is going to need CPU power so I'm not surprised by that it's higher, but 6C is a big difference.

I can't think of any strange things about my PC at the moment :worried:

17. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

I see dead people.

18. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

I have my computer next to my 50 gallon fish tank and evry time i turn on my monitor the fish rush to the other side... :confused: I think they pick up an electronic impluse or something fromw the montor.

19. Pookeyhead

Just remember: "The voices told me to do it" is not a reasonable defence in a court of law.. :hehe:

20. meanpc

meanpc What's a Dremel?

I had that happen with my speakers before. I found that the coax for my cable tv/cable modem was running inline with the speaker wire. I crossed them at a 90 degree angle instead --- no more eerie tunes. Check your cables out to see if that may be the issue.