1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics just ordered my 9800 pro...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chobbler, 28 Apr 2004.

1. Chobbler

Chobbler Running with a Spoon

So i ordered radeon pro card.....the Asus 9800pro 256.....how convienient it looks exactly like the 9800xt version and has the same spec. think it can be soft modded to the 9800xt?

i am sure its worth a try plus for like £50+ cheaper its not too bad of an investment. plus half life two voucher...yay...should be here tomorrow...although i screwed my order up and rather than order the 2.8ghx prescott i ended up with a 533 northwood....i hope they got my email intime to change the order.... :duh: think i can return it?

2. JoKeR

JoKeR What's a Dremel?

i feel your joy :D ...i was the same waiting for my 9800xt to arrive :naughty:
    farcry looked so sweet

enjoy m8 :thumb:

3. Chobbler

they changed my order!!! yay! super fast i love that company..although shame they didn't keep the same price...hehe 30 quid extra now.....tragic!

4. ViRuZO

ViRuZO What's a Dremel?

i share wyth your opinion too, but is 256 mb faster (any performance difference between 128mb) usually more mb doesnt hold on perfromace :idea: so they are equal...

5. Alano

Alano What's a Dremel?

yep i agree, the gfx memroy is not the bottleneck in that gen of card so no reall difference.its the gpu and mem clockspeeds where its all at. :thumb:

6. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

order yourself a VGA cooler and OC it to XT speeds.simple and it saves you £50. :rock:

7. Chobbler

the ultimate plan is to just water cool it! softmod it to an XT and whoops its ass. although the ASUS cooling solution looks monstrous....so i might see what happens once clocked....should be here in aday or two...i am not pleased it might not arrive tomorrow...stupid store...HURRY!!!!!! *wets pants* on the up side i just ordered some custom sheets of alu for my linux box! yay! :hip:

8. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

As long as it will take XT clocks, any 9800 Pro will mod to an XT via a BIOS flash...take a look at 3DMAXX forums for guides. It's even easier with a 256MB card as there are more 256MB XT's to take BIOSes from ;)

There's also been a couple of issues whereby manufacturers (I know Sapphire have, maybe others too) have taken 9800XTs and rebadged them as Pros to cope with demand, if you get one of those think yourself extra lucky :D

EDIT - I think you imply somewhere you changed your order to an XT, in that case good luck with it...

9. Chobbler

thats the plan!!! plus i think i will put my own little mod thingy up soon once i get the alu! :worried:

10. Chobbler

YAY!!! it arrived and its really heavy....Right anyone know where i can find a guide to flash it to a 9800XT?
    :dremel:

i just tried flashing, i backed up the original bios on disc, and got some new bios, and when i loaded them it said SSID error....it freaked me out....anyone help? :waah:

Last edited: 4 May 2004
  11. Kameleon

If you used one of those to flash to XT then I think that's the problem...:p

Otherwise, as I said earlier check the 3DMAXX forum, they're where I got my BIOS/read enough to be able to pick the right one and do the flash OK...I don't have bookmarks or anything though, since I'm on my second rig atm.

12. Chobbler

3dmaxx seems to be down. I only need some asus bios don't i?

so i load it up with a floppy disc and load the bios....just need the bios now..
    :waah: :waah:

13. Chobbler

I've found the 9800XT256 bios for the asus card..but it says the ram is samsung, think it'll work, its a .bin while where the other was .rom....not sure if this makes a major difference? :hip:

14. Kameleon

Have you got Hynix or Infineon RAM instead of Samsung? What speed is it (2.8ns, 3.3ns, etc)

TBH I didn't actually flash the right RAM's BIOS on my card, I tried all of the Powercolor ones, and one of them let me have 20MHz more on the RAM clock ;)

3DMAXX being down is slightly unfortunate, but I found this.

Oh, one more thing - did you check to see if the card would do 412/365 (stock speed for an XT) without artifacts already?

EDIT - I've never seen an ATi BIOS in a .rom file, weird...

15. Chobbler

well i ramped it up to 400 700 and thats as far as it would let me! its the asus limit on that. It worked fine, noticed it gets rather warm....but i'll assume thats why it has such a huge sink. Thats where i got the bios from, just checking if its the 360 or the 350...to be honest its uber fast anyway...i'm just going for over kill... :jawdrop:

16. Chobbler

it didn't work....it never even registered a change...and boy does this thing run hot. Any other ideas? knowing my luck i might have just flashed it as a 9800 pro 128...rather than 256...that definatly sounds like something i would do. hurm. :waah:

17. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I have a sapphire 9800 pro 128mb, would the sapphire 256mb XT bios work? if i backup the original bios... is there any chance of the chip being screwed?

18. Kameleon

I think you'll need to get hold of a modded 128MB XT BIOS, I wouldn't recommend flashing a 256MB BIOS to a 128MB card.

19. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

would the modded bios be on the 3DMAXX site (seems to be down atm). I will have a PCI card handy just incase :D

20. Chobbler

i've just had my thred highjacked....

Tags: