1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Washington wakes up to spyware, adware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by acrimonious, 29 Apr 2004.

1. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

"Two anti-spyware bills are being readied in time for a hearing Thursday in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The measures, one sponsored by a California Republican and the other by a Washington Democrat, take different approaches toward software that lurks on a computer and serves pop-up ads or transmits personal information. But both make the same point: Official Washington is becoming officially fed up with the proliferation of spyware and adware. The new attention paid to malicious software follows last fall's unprecedented focus on unsolicited commercial e-mail. "

Full story from C|Net: here

'Bout bloody time.

2. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

I hope their first target is GAIN. I hate Gator.

3. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

lol!

i would assume that all these old guys that are on these boards making decisions would have done this along time ago- seeing that 90% or more of them prolly barely know how to use a computer and THEN when they do have to, they get pop-ups and spyware and the IT guys are in their rooms all the time :hehe:

idiots.

:idea:

i hope they have a ruling that lets angry internet users attack the companies with long wooden sticks. this would make me very happy... as long as we got a DVD out of it :naughty:

lol. damn spyware companies.

4. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Come on, I want to use a railgun! Please, let me use a railgun :waah:

GAIN needs to die, as do many other companys that put out spyware. I can not believe that it has taken this long for the goverment to start talking about this, as it's a problem that imo is worse than spam :sigh:

5. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Hear hear!
    :thumb:

Spyware/adware are practically viruses and there's been laws against THEM for ages....

6. TMM

TMM Modder

the worst type of spyware is the crap that gets bundled with programs...

i just downloaded msnPLUS! a while ago to find it installed spyware all over my system, which it took me a good 30mins to get totally rid off... :miffed: :miffed: i want my 30mins of my life back! do i hear a 1 million dollar fine?

they should go bust in and give fines to people... like the RIAA do

7. savethegaywhales

savethegaywhales What's a Dremel?

This is great but the problem is that they are only going to be able to regulate it in the US. Companies just move to some other country with no restriction and the US can't do anything.

8. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

9. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

god yeah, me too.

if there is one thing i hate more than trojans, its bloody adware! :nono:

Tags: Add Tags