1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Bonding aluminium?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SoulkeepHL, 26 Apr 2004.

1. SoulkeepHL

SoulkeepHL What's a Dremel?

I'll be able to start working on my project again in a few weeks, so I figured I'd start with the problem that prevented me from finishing it before, joining alu. L channel. As the ammocan that i'm using is pressed for space, i mitred all the L channel that I'm using as a frame for the system to save space. The only problem is is that I kept snaping the bonds at the joints when i'd go to glue additional pieces together. Idealy, it'd be truely welded, and i wouldn't have this problem, but thats not the case. I was using JB weld, is there a different product that I should be using? The only thing that comes to me off the top of my head to strengthen the joints is jb welding some the 16ga sheet steel scrap that I have laying around over the joints. Or does anyone have any other ideas?

2. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

You could get it welded. But that would be too simple wouldn't it? :D

3. SoulkeepHL

SoulkeepHL What's a Dremel?

yeah, but I dont know how to weld, nor do I know anyone who knows how to weld alu. Hmm, what kinda shop would typically be able to weld alu?

4. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

Just about any welding shop in your phonebook directory should be able to weld aluminum . . . :D

5. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

you could also use some 90degree mounting brackets and some countersunk screws to join the corners. You may want to try some epoxy like locktite. Make sure the parts that are going to be bonded are clean and it helps to scuff the material a bit with some sandpaper to give it something to "bite" into.

6. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

I don't know about you, but a Mapp torch and the right rods you should be able to do it yourself. My grandpa seemed to have an easy enough time.

7. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Most metal shops, machine shops, or welding shops should be able to do it for you at a reasonable price. Especially the low grade of aluminum your working with.

8. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Heavytank2 can you find out for me what would be needed, Id like to weld some alu for a case im making.

9. Heavytank2

As far as I know, propane torch, aluminum rod, and the right flux. I am sure a hardware store guy can help you. Here is a link.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/gtwelding.html

And this http://www.durafix.com/ I am sure there is alternatives without a doubt, but this is just to give you an idea.

I tried welding before, its not easy. At first anyhow, the trick is getting both the rod and the surface roughly the same temp so they fuse. Otherwise it won't stick, or, if too hot, you can burn holes in thin alum.

10. riggs

riggs ^_^

Welding: depends on how thin the alu is...I've heard that welding thin alu sheet is quite difficult (for beginners), as it has a low melting point compared with other metals...

How about solder? You can buy special solder that's designed to fix metal to metal (you need to use a blowtorch to heat up the alu) - not sure where to buy the stuff, but try a model shop, they seem to stock this type of thing.

11. Heavytank2

Indeed it is, I tried torching a alu washer and it just melted as a whole.

12. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

Most places with Copper plumbing supplies should have the right stuff, since you do solder that together. I am not sure about aluminum though, I will ask a friend of mine who is a pro welder what he would recommend.

13. riggs

riggs ^_^

I've just been informed that aluminium doesn't solder well...so ignore my post :rolleyes:

14. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Unfortunatly you have to be careful welding Ali, as it uses electrolisis (I'm sure 8-ball's the guy to talk about this in detail) to make, you need an arc welder. Which are BIG and EXPENSIVE. Metal shops will have them though.

My brother's got a Mig welder for his car stuff, and I know you can use it for Ali, but it doesn't look nice.

15. haloumis

haloumis What's a Dremel?

I made an aluminium box once using L shapes. I end up using screws and some metallic corners but I tried both epoxy and soldering. Soldering had no success. Epoxy is the best adhesive for aluminium but not for big loads. I recommend TIG weld. Any welding shop has one and if you find the equipment you can do it yourself, its is very error forgiving.

Read the following its part of an university exercise comparing MIG and TIG

… the most suitable method is TIG. This method is similar to MIG but the electrode is not consumed, instead separate filler is used only when necessary. This technique is more precise and AC current can be used. The benefit of AC current is that the oxide layer of the aluminium parts is removed when the electrode is positive. The oxide layer of aluminium is responsible for hydrogen cracks and bad mechanical properties of the weld. In AC welding the electrode operates at high temperature, therefore it is made of tungsten with zirconia addition in order to reduce erosion. As compensation the electrode cools when it becomes positive.
    The shielding gas is also argon or argon and hydrogen which of course is not recommended for use with aluminium. Another gas could be Helium and helium/argon mixtures. Using those results in a higher ark temperature and therefore bigger penetration and welding speed but the cost is greater and the starting of the ark more difficult.