1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Electrostatic Headphones....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Whis5555, 30 Apr 2004.

1. Whis5555

Whis5555 What's a Dremel?

ok.... First off, if you do not know what a electrostatic speaker/headphone is, tell me and I will explain.

Ok... I got a amp for the stuff, but I do need the transformers to drive the headphones and/or speakers at 750 volts. this is DC for the bias circuit. The bias should hook up to wall wiring at 125 volts AC. I need a 750 volt current out of this at something like 5 milliamps. There needs to be virtually no current for the bias supply.

I have no clue what kind of max voltage the amp provides, so lets assume a jump of 4x. Another words, make the voltage 4 times greater than the supply. And there needs to be 2 channels too. So bias, which hooks the negative to the speakers and the positive to the center tap of the transformers that run the speakers. So 3 sets of transformers. Could some one help me with the circuit? I ahve no clue what to do, I just understand what needs to be done. :D

2. FourDee

FourDee What's a Dremel?

That kind of speakers work around the fact that (+)/(-) attract eachother and (+)/(+) and (-)/(-) do the opposite. this way, 2 plates of metal can be vibrated, producing sounds. (soz for the crappy explain but i cant translate all those difficult words :D )

EDIT: oops sorry, I thought you were asking what they were :duh:

Last edited: 1 May 2004
  3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

If you seriously intend knocking something up that's going to put 750V into each earhole, you need some accurate specs of the amp and the phones. :hehe:

4. Manitowic999

Manitowic999 What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't put it on my head! In one ear and out the other. :hehe:

5. Whis5555

Whis5555 What's a Dremel?

ROFL
    Actually, i probaly wouldn't use it as headphones anytime soon. I would proabaly only use it as a normal speaker for awhile. I would make sure as hell it does not leak ANY current before they got anywhere close to my body when active. COuld somebody help me though. Really, I only need a place that will sell me some good transformers.