1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Upgrading to WinXP Qs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darth Joules, 3 May 2004.

1. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

I'm going to upgrade my OS from Win98SE to WinXP (Home Ed.) very soon and I have some Q's about doing the upgrade. Do I....

1) Leave my current Win98SE setup, progs, updates and all as they are and then install the WinXP upgrade.

2) Trash my C: drive install a virgin copy of Win98SE with no critical updates and then install the WinXP upgrade.

3) Same as 2) but with all the critical updates and then upgrade.

4) Or same as 1) but remove every other prog other than MS Windows software and then upgrade.

What are people's recommendations for doing the upgrade?

BTW, I'm going to get an OEM copy of WinXP, will this include all the manuals?

2. a9on87

a9on87 ...

I'd say back up everything and install from fresh - you don't actually need to install 98 first - iirc you can just stick the 98 CD in at a certain point and XP will accept it and install XP fresh thus saving you time. Google for more info!

Not sure about the manuals though - who reads them anyway?! :p

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Yup, as a9on87 said. You get a fresh/clean XP install doing it that way.

4. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Yup, fresh copy is best. I just did a home upgrade/install. Just stick in the 98 cd when it asks, then stick in the home cd when it asks. Also, the OEM version does not really come with any manuals. Except for one little one showing some of the newer featurs of win xp. I do recomend backing up the hdd, or at least all the needed files/documents, and the email progy. If you need help backing up the meails/address book in outlook express/ outlook, use google, or ask me how to do it. You will either need a cd or another hdd, as the email can be pretty big. Although, I prefer doing a ghost partition/disk copy to another hdd for ALL the iles to be backed up just in case.

5. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

From a fresh install (clean C: drive), WinXP upgrade CD first, then Win98SE CD when it asks and so forth? :confused:

All my files are backed up onto a separate physical HD from the HD that contains the OS and things like games. So no worries there.

6. mit_eclipse_01

mit_eclipse_01 Banned

Or just wipe out HD, and then go in to BIOS and set cd rom as boot drive. Then put in XP disk and just do a fresh full install of XP. Skip 98 disk...

7. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

With the upgrade version, you need to stick in the 98 disk to prove that the install is an upgrade.

8. a9on87

a9on87 ...

It's an XP upgrade so it needs evidence that you have a previous version of windows to upgrade from.

Tags: