1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Quiet 120mm Fan for BIX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Murdoc, 4 May 2004.

1. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

2. pauldenton

pauldenton What's a Dremel?

if you don't have one already adding a shroud for your BIX should reduce noise as well as increasing performance...
    these are nice if you don't want to DIY....
    http://www.coolercases.co.uk/fan_shrouds.htm

a lot cheaper than that (out of stock) fan...

i believe that panaflo are the favoured brand for quiet performance ... i have some on their way to me atm so i should be able to confirm once i try some of them on my rheobus.....

where/how is your BIX set up btw?

lot of discussion of quiet fans on ocforums recently - i'll post a link....
    edit: links as promised
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=286248
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=273540

Last edited: 5 May 2004
  3. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

4. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Again cheers for that Paul and yes a shroud will take away some of the noise :thumb:

BUT

You posted a link not so long ago to an article Cather had written using shrouds together with a BIX which if i remember rightly he found made no difference what so ever in temps turning the "dead zone" theory from a fan into a forum Chinese whisper but i can't find the link as per :wallbash:

Nevertheless lifting some fans an inch or so away from the rad does tend to quieten them down a fair bit.

BTW we got some Papst 4412 F/2 GL on way which are 1600rpm - 26Dba @ 12v which are apparently very quiet at 7 volt

5. pauldenton

that would be in this thread.... which actually debunks a fan body as a shroud, not shrouds per se (you're underselling your own products again ;) )
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=54407

the key point of which is that shrouds work!! but cut up fan bodies as shrouds are worse than no shroud (due to the venturis on the fan body)

edited version of BillAdams post as in the previous thread:

"Fan Engineering" is the basic text for practitioners in this field; many hundreds of pages detailing the ins and outs of air handling, highly recommended for those wishing knowledge beyond that of posting experts

the discharge of an axial fan is an expanding cone, not a flow moving straight away from the fan blades

a 120mm fan body (shell) is a somewhat crude venturi, which when used as a spacer will have its inlet side cone immediately facing the fan's discharge (at a rather high angle of incidence)

a truly excellent way to impede the flow

several WCing suppliers sell well designed and made radiator fan shrouds, for those without scissors and some paperboard and tape
    radiator fan shrouds with some standoff work well, often very well;
    air throughput increases from 10 to 20% with single fans, to 25 to 30% with dual (parallel) fans were seen with 1.12 in. of standoff
    - with a LOT less noise

(measured with a thermal anemometer and digital manometer)

the BIX already provides a small amount of standoff - which is why the coolingworks shrouds you were referring to are 1" deep... the 1.12" in billA's post is calculated from the diameter of the fan's motor which causes the deadspot iirc

6. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Personally I like the panaflos and when combined with a shroud are nice and quiet...

7. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Panaflos are the best £/silence but remember that they're ~38mm thick not 25mm like all the others :hip:

8. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Thanks for all the posts! i have a shroud already on my BIX :D havent tried it without tbh

The fan makes a low droning sound and its a bit much tbh :/

I can't seem to fing 120mm Panaflo's anyone know where to get em.

Thanks

'doc

EDIT: found the panaflo now but Pabst seems a better fan, but i can't find them lol, anyone?

Last edited: 5 May 2004
  9. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Its been a while since i looked and compared prices of pabst fans but when i did, around a year ago, here was the cheapest place of all.

10. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Thanks, anyone know what the delivery is like from their as its a .de

'doc

11. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Its pretty good iirc. I got a load of stuff with a mate and he ordered it all so i cant remember all the details. I think the fans arrived in a few days. The only problem was one of the 120's we ordered was damaged (one of the fins was broken off!) but they sent out a replacement imediately.

12. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

I wouldnt go past an enermax adjustable fan now. No need for an extra rheobus/fanbus, its very quiet on the slowest setting, usually cheaper than panaflo/papsts fans and it even comes with a gold fan guard. Hows that for a sales pitch ;)

13. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

I have an enermax adjustable fan PSU in Hex at the moment - I can hear it and my Arctic cooling Super silencer over my Papsts with everything set to low. :p

I've only ever sold Papst fans personally, I love 'em to bits (thought I was about the cheapest in the UK too, correct me if I'm wrong)

14. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

hmmm, sounds good to me.

will investigate more.

thanks

'doc

15. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

you seem to be i think, but would the shipping for 1 120mm fan be £4?

thanks
    'doc

16. lv_dicedealer

lv_dicedealer What's a Dremel?

Any Papst fan supplier in the US?

17. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I've got a Papst 4412 F/2GL. Well worth the money. It's absolutely inaudible (to my ears) at 7v.

Seems to be doing a good job cooling the rad as well :thumb:

18. pauldenton

19. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Id go for papst. i bought 6 papst fans off ebay 4182NGX i think they are, they are aluminum chassy with kevlar and teflon blades if i remember correctly or something like that they are as quite as you like and kick plenty of air.

morgan.

20. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

sell me one! pls :D

'doc

Tags: