1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster solder irons are hot :s

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kidron, 3 May 2004.

1. kidron

kidron What's a Dremel?

just wanted to share something stupid i did haha
    my solder iron was plugged on and i didn't know, so i passed my arm over it to grab something (can't remember what..) and i lowered it unconsciously and got my arm burned, at first it didn't hurt, but after some minutes it was kind of painful :grr:

pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(click images to enlarge)

2. ajack

ajack rox

:( Hurts don't it?

I got a guy in my electronics class (purely by accident); i kinda swung round and the soldering iron went most of the way up his arm....

3. ubernewber

ubernewber What's a Dremel?

heh i know the feeling, i was soldering in my lap, i acidently slip and tap my hand, so i drop the iron and look at my finger.
    now remember that i was soldering in my lap, i was also only wearing shorts.... u can only guess what happened

4. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

I hate soldering Iron burns, well I hate all burns, its my most hated pain, as it lasts for so long, and doesnt seem to dull until it goes...
    worst pain...
    Building a MOSFET power amplifier for a speaker, and leaving it running a bit, then turning around, (whilst RTT cranks up the voltage pumping through it :miffed: ) turning back, to be told by a mate 'that needs a Heatsink on it, and me (as it was running cooly at the time at a low volume(/voltage) proving my point and holds on to it......then the back of it strips off the top layer of my finger skin, and leaves a perfect imprint of the MOSFET (with a nice little screw hole for the heatsink input..)

Needless to say, any type of cheap that has an attachment for a heatsink I place one on now....and never turn away from my projects :worried:

- M@

5. HowardCanning

HowardCanning What's a Dremel?

I flicked a huge glob of solder off the iron tip and it somehow landed on my hand... Needless to say I promptly shook it off, but the ~0.75cm^2 scar is still visible... This must have been a good few years ago now. Lol.

6. Lupine

Lupine What's a Dremel?

I have one of the 120W equivalent gas soldering irons (Irodo Solderpro 120) from Maplins and I have yet to burn myself on it, as I'm too careful/scared around the damn thing, having burnt myself before on soldering irons...

IMO, gas soldering irons are a gift from the gods, as there's nothing more annying that fighting with a power cable when all you want to do is a little bit of soldering...

Last edited: 4 May 2004
  7. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

I had one of the lookalike Antex Gascat Soldering Irons for portable use. I got badly burned by it about 5 years ago when I noticed something falling off the table out the corner of my eye, and reflxivley caught it... hot side landed in the palm of my hand and I closed my hand around it before I realised what I'd done. Due to initial catch being a reflex action, took a good second or two to register. :eeek: I had a 2" long yellow / blackened area across the area below my left thumb on the palm of my hand. And it hurt. A lot.

One suggestion to potential soldering iron burn victims - get some of those special savlon burns plasters. After holding it under cold water for afew mins, I applied one. These are gel - like, and act as a false skin. Once applied, they seem to bond to the skin, including the burned area, and do not fall off for over a week. I have to admit that I was fairly sceptical until I tried them, but when it came off the skin was nearly healed and there is virtually no scarring - the hand now looks 98% perfect. (Still cannot 'feel' that area of my hand though)

Those plasters may be pricey, but they're worth it. I for one am definitley glad that I had one handy.

Edit: I still have the iron, after replacing the catalyst part (which was gummed up with burned skin - yeuch!) it still works fine. Very useful for fixing the car wiring, where mains is not always handy.

8. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I burnt my self a few days ago on my soldering iron. I was in a rush to get my watercooling up and running and I wasn't paying enough attention. Barely touched it but it really hurt.

Oh well not as good as the time I left one and it melted my carpet :duh:

9. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

ok burns hurt sorry pal you were very unlucky!
    but i must say that this weekend while a friend was over, as we passed through the hall where my mom had left the iron + ironing board ( who would of beilieved it she was ironing! ) she shouted from the kitchen 'whatch out the iron is hot' and so stupidly as i stop and speak to my mate im there flicking the iron with my defunkt nail ( on my index finger ) of course you dont feel heat through nails so it was ok right up until the little bit beneath it hit the iron! owwwwwwwwwwwww!
    so i run it under tap pain goes away.
    go to play on xbox, and it comes back, fighting it the whole time while tryingto play PGR2 and then it comes back sharp as ever so i run off to grab some frozen sweetcorn 'ahhhhh bliss'
    well who would of thought it a 16 year old with an inquisitiveness of a 4 year old...now i realise why my parents dont leave me home alone ( well last time i did accidently turn on the tob hobs and melt some plastic battery clips of my dads ...)

10. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

at least you haven't did what i did

opened my ps2 one time forgot i had my soddering iron pluged in i though il just set the lid on the soldering iron not theres a HUGE whole in my paper waight (ps2) because a few weeks after i started getting disc read errers

it can still play ps1 games and cds if any one wants it for a small fee

11. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I've had a lot of soldering iron burns.

They don't hurt as much after the first few :hehe:

12. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

I once had a hot soldering iron thrown at me. I was still in high school and had gone to the mall and saw one of my friends girlfriend there and stopped and talked to her for a few. After about a week it somehow got back to my friend that I was going out with his girlfriend and we were seen at the mall kissing or somethign(we were at the mall but I never kissed her.) Anyway, I went over to the guys house and he was in his garage soldering something and I just said "hey man." and he turns and flings the soldering iron at me - I didn't get burned but it did burn a hole in the shirt I was wearing. Then the psycho picks up a crowbar and starts to come after me with that. Sucked, I didn't even know why the psycho was doing that 'till a couple days later. Didn't much like him after that either.

The only time I can think that I've had a bad burn was from a fuse on some fireworks. I lit it and somehow after lighting it, the fuse fell weird and laid on my thumb and was there long enough to burn across. Burning black powder hurts.

13. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

I work at a music shop and spend all day making up/fixing guitar leads etc.
    Now most electrical/audio plugs are difficult buggers to solder, right, and u never get it right first time, and u end up using yr hand to hold a red-hot plug just to orientate it the right way to get the perfect solder join :wallbash:

My advice - ignore the pain and carry on like i do ('cept u'll end up with rock-hard callousses and no pain receptors on yr fingers and forearms :))
    Certainly makes for a good party trick when you can hold a nice, heat-conductive mosfet/IC with yr bare hands, spend extra long soldering it to a board, and not blink an eyelid in the process :thumb:

But if its a really long stint of soldering ahead of you, visit yr kindly local 'Doctor Nick' and get a jab of morphine first :hehe:

14. Mienai

Mienai What's a Dremel?

I had a solder-iron holder that wasn't designed for my iron. I didn't notice that the tip/shaft was leaning against the heat guard and metal spiral. Suffice to say I had a nice spiral burn in my palm for a while after trying to move the holder.

15. ellism

ellism What's a Dremel?

I cant remember how many times i have put a soldering iron down on the desk and not looking tried to pick it up and grabbed the wrong end.

16. kidron

kidron What's a Dremel?

hahaha

it is great reading all your experiences :clap:

i hope i don't get burn again.. of course it is almost impossible to not get burn if you're around this things all day..

17. Jaxx

Jaxx What's a Dremel?

I stepped on the cord of my soldering iron and had the whole [hot] stem slide down the inside of my middle finger.

'nuff said

18. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

I had 1 hour of bad luck with soldering.

1. Burnt part of my silenx 120m fan 15quid
    2. Burnt myself really painful
    3. Ran out of solder
    4. Burnt part of my 80quid top that was brand new

I can solder. lol, that was a bad moment tho:/

19. rahboni

rahboni What's a Dremel?

I was soldering some stuff stuff up one day....as fate would have it, my 5 year old daughter decided to pay me a visit. I'm explaining what I'm doing...so she thinks she's gonna be a big help and hand the thing to me...(one of those Radio Shack pencil irons).

I was in slow motion shock as I watched her grab the hot end in her fist....took what seemed like forever for her drop the thing...

Straight to the hospital with 3rd degree burns over most of her palm...

No need to describe her screams....

20. kidron

kidron What's a Dremel?

so here i am again, i burnt again yesterday.. this time it was my finger tip, it was so much painful this time :wallbash:

so bad to hear (read) that rahboni, i hope she is ok by now, and that she doesn't remember that accident in the future; those things aren't really good to remember.