Electronics Inline Fan speed regulator...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by davidtan, 21 Mar 2002.

1. davidtan

davidtan What's a Dremel?

Having seen Thermaltakes new creation (the Volcano 7+), is it possible to build that inline fan speed connector?

How hard would it be? Could anyone help with creating a small circuit that could fit in a box to give three possible speeds (12V, 7V and 5V) that could be adjusted by flicking the switch? The picture of the thing is below....

http://www.overclockers.com.au/image.php?pic=techstuff/r_volcano_7p/fanspeed.jpg

2. mcduffiem

mcduffiem What's a Dremel?

A couple of thoughts...

Since they're only using +12 and ground, the device pictured is probably using resistors and/or diodes to decrease the voltage. Since you only listed 3 dicsrete voltages, it's using some sort of 3 position 2 pin switch.

To avoid heat generation, I would look into a 3 position 2 pin switch (rotary is easy to find, I assume there are slide versions) and connect the fan connections to 12V/GND, 12V/5V, and 5V/GND respectively for your 12, 7 and 5V settings. You'd have 3 (or 4 if you want to use both grounds) wires from the 4 pin molex power connector but you should avoid addiitonal heat generation and reduce power consumption.

A quick search of digikey produced the SW115-ND DP3T 3A slide switch for $1, but there are numerous oher choices.

Cheers, Mike

3. davidtan

I'm in the UK, so the part number doesnt really help. If you goto www.maplin.co.uk I have found part FV02C - is that the switch which is correct?

I'm not quite sure what I need to do though... could you possibly create a small diagram? I have one input from the PSU, which has 4 wires, Yellow-Black-Black-Red. The fan is input by two wires, Black-Red. How am I meant to solder the wires? I really don't know which to solder to the seemingly 8 inputs on the switch!

4. mcduffiem

Yes, it's a double pole 3 throw switch. The diagram is too small for me to read and I didn't see any amperage rating but I imgine it would work fine.

Warning ASCII "art" follows: :D

It appears from the picture the pins are connected like this:

Code:
    I1A  I1B  I1C                 O1

I2A  I2B  I2C                 O2

Where outputs 1 & 2 are connected to their respective Inputs A, B, C as the slider is moved.

There numerous ways to wire it up, but here's one (using the noumenclature I depicted above):

O1 -- Fan +

I1A -- 12V from molex (power connector)

I1B -- 12V from molex or strap to I1A

I1C -- 5V from molex

O2 -- Fan -

I2A -- Gnd from molex (I would use the one next to 12V)

I2B -- 5V from molex or strap to I1C

I2C -- Gnd from molex (I would use the one next to 5V)

This would give you 12V, 7V, and 5V respectively as you move the switch from left to right in the Maplin picture.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2002
  5. mcduffiem

Anyone know how to attach a picture (not a http hosted image) like other other forums allow. I was so bored I actually made a MS Paint modified picture of what the wiring should look like.;)

6. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

If the ampage is too much for the switch, you could always use transistors!! I know that Radio Shack sells giant power transistors, they are rated over 100 watts! I don't know about maplin, but the good old shack has 'em!

Hope this helps!

Signing out...

7. mcduffiem

8. davidtan

see post below

9. davidtan

I'll pick up the parts tomorrow, and hopefully have my 60mm Delta at 7v or even 5v soon (I can't live with the noise any more!)

Would there be an easy way to wire up two fans to that scheme or would the ampage get to high?

Thank you very much!

10. mcduffiem

Your amperage would be limited by what the switch can support. I didn't see any specs on the link you sent. I know other vendors have parts that support 11A and higher, which would support several fans.

The simplest way to add additional fans would be through pre-made power splitters. Of course there are more elegant solutions -- fanbuses, etc. but they would not be conguent with your original simplistic inline circuit request.

11. Yo-DUH_87

if you use transistors, the ampage would be increased, and you could use as many fans as you want (as long as the transistor is rated right!).

:eyebrow: I don't know if your delta will run at 5v, but you can give it a try. Most fans take 50% of the rated voltage to start, and then some can go lower than that, but, I don't have any experince with a delta like the one you have :confused:

Me like new smileys :cries: :unsure: :eyebrow: :idea: :worried: :hehe:

Me likes them very much :hehe:

Signing out...

12. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

spam is whats for dinner

13. macroman

macroman The One

Use the "Attach file" option below the reply box when you post.

14. Floydian

Floydian What's a Dremel?

yeah, be careful running at 5volts or you might not be running at all :eek:

Most +12v fans i've seen require a +6v startup voltage.

15. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

my ystech 60 mm jobbies wont start at 5 but will work if u swith up to 7 or abv then back down to 5

16. mcduffiem

That's just it. I don't see one here but other forums based on vb have one. That's why/how I posted the pciture in oc-forum.

I just looked at the forum rules legend box in the reply page which reads "You may not post attachments". Is this an individual setting or a forum wide setting?

17. mcduffiem

Or is it based on post status.... That's teh ticket, I've gotta get my post count up! :D

18. Yo-DUH_87

I don't think it is post count based, but, then again, I wouldn't know!!

:idea: why not get an account with a image hosting company? Then, they host images, you don't need wory about post count! That is what I did!!

Signing out...

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

only Moderators and Admins have access to this ;)

20. mcduffiem

Well, that explains it, but makes it kind of a pain to share schematics, sketches, etc. :sigh: