1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Tutorial: Making PCBs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Devil_H@ck, 9 May 2004.

1. relix

relix Minimodder

Devilhack, nice tutorial! :thumb:

Also, I looked a bit around on your site (opera unfriendly by the way ;)) and noticed the SMD solder tutorial. Is it really that easy to solder SMD chips? It looks easier to solder SMD than normal DIPs, because you can do them all at once, and you don't have to drill any holes.

Another question, where in Belgium did you get the stuff needed for the PCB? There isn't an electronics shop around here in a radios of a couple of kilometres, and I'd like to buy this stuff on-line. Have any suggestions?

2. Devil_H@ck

Devil_H@ck What's a Dremel?

Bedankt ;).

A few people told me this weekend about Opera rendering the site wrong, I don't know why. I checked it with the official HTML checker on www.w3.org and everything's OK, except for the **** popup code Lycos puts on it (and some code I need to use to block those popups).

Indeed, it is as simple as it looks. I have the urge to use nothing but SMDs now because because it so much smaller and easy to!

Where do you live? I buy most of my stuff at Vael Electronics in St.-Niklaas. Here's there website: http://www.vael.com/. There isn't anything usefull on the site, but there address is on it. (They have a lot more than what's shown on the site.) As for online ordering, there are two good options. The first is www.farnell.com, but it's very user unfriendly and you need to have a company. They don't charge shipping costs. Then there's www.rs-components.be. They have a lot of stuff too and seem to be quite cheap. There isn't any minimum order (there isn't any on Farnell either) and I don't think they charge shipping costs either. I haven't ordered from any of them, but I might try RS-Components one of these days.

3. relix

relix Minimodder

I live in knokke-heist (nee, 'k ben geen snob ;)), and thanks for the links! Unfortunately, I already tried those, and farnell, like you said, needs a BTW-number (VAT-number) and rs-components too, I think, but I'm not sure, have to check that out.

I'm so going to try it out with those SMD's! Looks good, and might save a few bucks on PCBs, with them being small and stuff.

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

From what I'm told, RS won't accept mailed, fax or phone orders from the public, only from trade account-holders but anybody can order on-line. You still have to register and you pay for delivery (trade accounts get free delivery). That's in the UK, not sure about abroad.

Devil_H@ck, I started building the JLH Class A when I was a lad, but with not much skill then I never got it going and soon used most of the parts for other stuff. Now I fancy trying again. Those Conrad heatsinks look great, did you have to import from Australia?

btw, here's how your site is rendering in Firefox and IE6.

Last edited: 12 May 2004
  5. Devil_H@ck

Devil_H@ck What's a Dremel?

Yes, you can read about it at the bottom of my JLH page. The customs service charged me €70 or something (which Conrad refunded me!!!). Make sure you ask them to send the heatsink with DLH or UPS or some other special mail company, not with the ordinary post service.

It seems to me that FireFox doesn't support CSS boxes. It must be that, I really don't know what else could be wrong.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I hope you've got your asbestos suit on. :eyebrow:

Google mozilla ie box model css ;)

Thanks for the info on Conrad, I'll get onto them.

7. Frink

Frink What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the very in-depth guide on the subject. I think I may just have to build one then.

I do have a question though. What is the best place States-side to get the developer/etchant? I checked Radioshack but all they had was etchant so I figured I'd order them both online.