1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone need this?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Chrizzle, 13 May 2004.

?

Do you need a guide to building computers?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. No, but I think it would be useful to newcomers.

150 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

I think the greatest contribution I can make right now is a guide to building a computer. I've seen this requested a couple times, but before I work on it, I want to make sure it is still needed. Just let me know in a reply.

EDIT!!!
    All you people skimming this page, please take a second and write town tips, suggestions, problems when building a computer, whatever. Every little bit helps in the final guide!

~~~~~~~~~

Last edited: 20 May 2004
  2. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

why not, noob guides are good for noobs. if they dont want it, ill take it for my site :)

3. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

That is true, it would be nice.

4. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Yeah I think you should go for it. Remember that a lot of members that come here do so because they want to learn. :)

-Sam

5. Boldar

Boldar Minimodder

Good Idea, useful for the noobs, how about scoring each process by trickiness.

6. verse

verse What's a Dremel?

If you want to take the time. But every computer mag nowadays has an issue or 3 where they show you how to build a system.

7. ubernewber

ubernewber What's a Dremel?

i remember building my first computer......tried putting a atx motherboard in a at case...i was like wtf is going on

8. pears0

pears0 What's a Dremel?

[off topic]Putting an ATX in a case when u have only done AT's b4 is big WTF! the rig i am on now is the first ATX i ever built! n its an athlon XP 2400+. Last 1 I built ba that was a P200 (thoughs were the days!)[/off topic]

A computer guide qritten by a n00b would b better than nethin a mag can up with, there normally written by ppl who have built computers 4 years. A n00b would know things that r likly to go wrong for a n00b n not take as granted n so ignord by a mag reporter!

9. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

I am from texas, and i can barely read that! thaint words ur usin!

10. Chrizzle

I'm actually not a noob...
    I have enough experience to write a good paper and I'm sure I'll come up with a few things the comp mags left out. Once I've seen the demand I'll start it.

11. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

Go for it, Chrizzle.

12. Chrizzle

Here we go!

Work starts tonight. Expect the guide within a couple weeks. Delete this thread if you would like admins, but I'd prefer to leave it open so I can ask people what they want to see.

Start giving me a general list of what you want to see.

Here's what I'm going to do so far:

0) Basics
    1) Choosing your case and components

2) Gathering your tools and supplies
    3) Mounting and rigging your motherboard
    4) Drives
    5) Cables
    6) Booting and installation
    7) Overclocking and performance
    8) Benchmarking

Basically, the bolded portions will be huge comparatively.

So, just drop me a line on what you want to see in each section, or tell me what section should be there additionally. Also, I'm looking for somewhere to host pictures (any of you know a decent site or have extra room you don't mind sharing for a good cause).

~Chrizzle

13. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I voted no. Every PC-related magazine has at least 2 articles a year on hwo to build a PC. Every website has at least 1 guide on how to do it. Hell, I think there's already a guide to it in this section.

14. Chrizzle

Work is underway...I'll try to make this great.

15. DustinE

DustinE What's a Dremel?

My self i dont need one but i know people that sometimes like to build there systems but dont know anything really... I really need to write one... A guide that covers everything from what parts a good for what to how putting it all together... you see normally i have to help them step by step....

16. Chrizzle

Just let me know specifically what you want to see in it and it'll be put in.

17. Chrizzle

Work has stopped for a week as I finnish finals. So far, I have a full outline and part of the basics done.

18. DustinE

DustinE What's a Dremel?

I think that there needs to be the fallowing:
    1) sources to get the parts
    2) what different features/specs are for on different parts (Just the common ones) and why you may want to get one part over another.... (I.E; you may want to save a little cash an get a IDE, 5,400RPM HDD if its not a gaming system where as if it is you will want a SATA 8MB Cash, drive running at 7200RPM...)

19. Chrizzle

I'll talk about when to get certain components, but the sources thingy already exists on this forum.

20. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

I think you would be better off writing a trouble shooting guide for building PCs. The actual piecing together is pretty easy as all the info is in the manuals that come with mobo etc. You can only really make generalisations as all the headers are different on different motherboards for example. A good guide would explain common problems and how to rectify them.