1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC97 Onboard Sounds << PMSL WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sonic_87, 15 May 2004.

1. sonic_87

sonic_87 What's a Dremel?

AC97 Onboard Sounds << PMSL WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT ?

I have had 2 boards with AC97 sound cards onboard and is it just me or is this just a really really really bad onboard sound. I have these speakers Cambrige Soundworks DTT2500 Digital 5.1 Decoder. Running from a AC97 Onboard sound from a MSI motherboard the sound from winamp is crackilie and sounds really bad. The last few onboard AC97's i have blowen channals out of it and well are these just a really really bad onboard sound or is it me :eyebrow:

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

pretty much got that right...onboard sound is ****e!! buy a decent sound card and no worries!!

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Of course it sucks, it's onboard. Video and sound, whenever present onboard a motherboard, almost always suck, only with a few exceptions (nForce Soundstorm boards or some of the newer ones w/ the VIA Envy-24HT chip, no such exceptions for video).

Do yourself a favor and get a PCI sound card, preferebly the M-Audio Revolution 7.1. It sounds, to put it bluntly, AWESOME.

4. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

my onboard sound is really good, comparable to an audigy - some effects

the only thing is linux drivers, but the new kernel + alsa should fix that :)

even the video is alright on mine :worried:

maybe it's just becuase I'm that good

5. seagull

seagull What's a Dremel?

I got on board AC97 and never have no probs. Soundblaster 5.1, now that gave me some grief.
    Cheers

6. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

My computer screwed a couple of days ago and while installing the onboard drivers I noticed that there is an issue with AC97 and hissing, but there was an update which sorted the issue. It might be unrelated, but try the MSI website anyway.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Not all on board sound is bad. My old Gigabyte board in my old XP2200+ was pants, but the sound on this K8V is pretty good actually. Very clean, no noise etc.

8. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

could be interference from something....... tv tuner card... rf reciever too close to the case etc. or the wires are getting interference from power cables....... ???/

9. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

update the drivers etc.... and try lowering the master volume on the mixer program.

My DTT3500's hiss anyway to a degree, even with no sources connected, irrespective of what the master volume is set to, its mainly trhe centre speaker that hisses.

10. daba

daba What's a Dremel?

I agree :)

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

ac97 top onboard is comparable to audigy...but then audigy is main stream sh*t.

Its like buying a Dell cos its got the name Dell.

far better cards out there for very much the same price...look to sound specalists, not creative.

12. Smileyuk

Smileyuk What's a Dremel?

From the reviews i have read the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 is not very good if you are a gamer though as the cpu overhead is too high.

13. Smileyuk

From the reviews i have read the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 is not very good if you are a gamer though as the cpu overhead is too high.

14. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

that might be so, but rember that with modern processors chances are its such a tiny percentage of total cpu power, that it doesnt really matter...and then again it is an awesome sounding card, and the manufacturer doesnt lie about the quality of it...

15. Smileyuk

dont get me wrong all the reviews said the sound was awesome.

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

soundstorm is great ;)

17. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

I game and I have an M-Audio. Do I notice the drop in frame rates? No. Do I notice the great sound quality? Yes, especially if I have my 4.1s on with a game of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

18. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

Well onboard everything sucks , but AC 97 doesnt.
    AC 97 with the newest drivers and utilites rocks :rock:

19. sonic_87

sonic_87 What's a Dremel?

mine dont hiss away just when playing music it will cracle for a bit of just hiss here and there and its annoying. :waah: ive tryed the DTT2500 out on my m8s pc and its is fine but he has a Creative 5.1 sound card :blah: i think i need a cheap GOOD sound card can any one help me on this front cos ill end up buying a really pants one :p

20. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

2nd hand audigy1, cost you about £20-30 from ebay.