1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epson develops 40-inch OLED display

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 21 May 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

40" of light emitting organic fun, courtesy of Seiko-Epson. This from CNet Asia:

Seiko Epson announced on Tuesday the development of a 40-inch full-color organic light-emitting diode display.

This is the largest such display in the world, said the company, which expects to commercialize the technology by 2007.

Using organic light-emitting diode display (OLED), Seiko Epson aims to capture the market for mid-size televisions smaller than 40-inches, said Seiji Hanaoka, vice president and CTO of Seiko Epson.

More here, and some pics here

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

NEEEEEED *drewl*

Do they do a beta program?

3. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Me 2

I Hope so, cuz i GOTTA get me one of those lol

Death

Last edited: 21 May 2004
  4. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

:rock:
    but um. what the hell is a OLED? organice light emitting diode? whats the difference from a regular LED? is it like a full spectrum version of a LED so it can generate all the colors or somthing?

what is it actually going to look like? :sigh:

5. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Follow the link that says pics mate, its got a few there, aint read the article yet so i don't know if the pics are of the final product :thumb:

Death

6. YingKo

YingKo What's a Dremel?

I only know a little about this but here goes,

The oled stands for organic light emiting diode, which means that there is an organic material that when charged with electricity will emit light which can be varied to produce the spectrum of colors. The best thing aobut them besides the reduced power comsuption and the lack of backlights(which fail) is that they have the crispyest (if thats a word) black you will ever see.

Yingko

7. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

Not just black but there contrast and brightness is remarkable.

I remember having a presentation from one of the Oxford Materials spin off companies, I forget which, Oxonica/Nanox or something like that who hold patents for technology which will probably take a while longer to develop, but has some significant advantages over the OLEDs currently being used.

You could clearly see the text on the screen of a mobile phone from across the room.

8-ball

8. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

That and in theory you shouldn’t get dead pixels.

9. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

How ironic. (speaking of the combination of lack of death and organic) :p

I want one. :sigh:

10. Valimont

Valimont What's a Dremel?

don't they have a really bad life span?

and don't the pixels age at different rates atm?

i hope this technology evolves though :D

11. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

You still shouldn't get any the first time you switch it on, I dunno about 5 mins later tho :p

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

this stuff's meant to be cool. If you leave a picture on the screen without moving anything, then nothing happens. No power is put into making a picture, and the picel quality doesnt degrade, so in PC terms were talking no need for screensavers anymore!

Also, this technology should, once established, be alot cheaper than LCD's due to needing no backlight or fancities like that :) They just have a TV Tree :p

13. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

A 60" TV weighing in at about a kilogram or so

14. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

sorry dude, OLEDs still need electricity to glow, they wont hold the picture after its turned off. There is the possibility of bendy screens though, as they dont need a solid glass substrate like lcds. In fact ive seen an oled screen scrolling text on what looked like a clear acetate transparency!

They are a great bit of technology though, 8-ball is right, the contrast and brightness are amazing, as is the fact that you can see them from any angle, as each pixel is emitting the light rather than stopping the bits you dont want to see (as with a normal lcd).

anyways, as i know how much you guys love blue LEDs, heres a blue OLED i made a earlier! :D

RoB

Tags: Add Tags