News Broadband killed the TV star

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 27 May 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

From elReg:

European TV broadcasters are losing viewers to the Web, a medium they must embrace as broadband roll out presses on.

That's according to UK-based research firm Strategy Analytics, which said in a new report that TV viewers are spending more time in front of the display connected to their PC, and less time watching the box. "Broadcasters Beware: Broadband Is Stealing Your Viewers" said that a survey of 800 Europeans revealed that some 56 percent have cut down on TV time since subscribing to broadband.

David Mercer, principal analyst at Strategy Analytics, acknowledged that TV will continue to have a place in the home, and won't be entirely replaced by high-speed Internet, but the impact of broadband will nevertheless be dramatic.

More here

I agree - the Gogglebox will never be replaced, but it will however be assimilated into the whold broadband phenomena.

2. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

the reason is that TV these days is mostly ****e. come on who wants to watch ITV at all? all those bollocks house makeover programs are crap.as are the soaps.the only reason i watch BBC 2 is for top gear.thank god i have Sky.discovery channel for American Chopper. :thumb: :rock:

3. golden-one

golden-one What's a Dremel?

Yes. but what about the Googlebox? :naughty:

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yup, i only use a TV for the PSX, Grand Prix and DVDs.

5. RTT

RTT #parp

This entire household now uses the net / PC as the primary source of entertainment. My dad no longer spends his evenings sat infront of the TV, my mum spends the evenings working now-a-days and has a PC at her desk, my bro is an absolute CS-aholic and i'm sure i don't need to speak for myself!

Internet > TV*

*apart from Sky One @ Thursday 9PM

6. SJH

SJH Minimodder

I hardly ever watch TV anymore, what with the amount of crap that's on at the moment. There's only so much reality TV that I can take. And with Big Brother starting tomorrow night it's an even better reason to stay away from the TV, as during the time that's on, you can be guaranteed 50% of programmes have some kind of mention of or reference to what's happening on Big Brother...seriously, DOES ANYONE CARE?!? They're just ordinary, boring, and most of the time, thick people who straight away consider themselves famous - for nothing! Remember Jade a couple of years ago? She's on the front cover of just about every copy of Heat/OK/Hello magazine now, just because she lived in some house for a few weeks. I've lived in my house for over a year now...can I be on the front page of magazines?

We also seem to be overrun by soaps now too. The storylines are getting weaker and more ridiculous every single week. I noticed the other week that Sonia from Eastenders is going to marry Martin Fowler - the guy who KILLED her ex-boyfriend! Admittedly soaps used to be much better written with much more plausible plots but now they're desperate to hang on to their viewers, who, if they're anything like me, are staying the hell away.

When it's not soaps or reality TV, it's some stupid programme with people building steam engines or trying to make people laugh at mistakes TV presenters have made (I think we're up to about volume 150 of TV's Naughtiest Blunders now).

When I use my TV I use it on the rare occasions that something decent and worth watching is on, other than that it's so I can watch DVDs. Otherwise I'm here on the internet where there's so much choice.

-Sam

7. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

The TV is used for M*A*S*H and DVDs mostly. I used to watch Angel until some real geniuses took it off. I'll watch the odd show otherwise but most of it is crap, or quickly becoming crap, and CSI has turned into a soap.

They say a suvey of 800 people? Doesn't Europe have a population in the several hundred billion or some other equally ridiculously large number? Not a very good range to be honest, and I'm sure more than 800 people in Europe have broadband.

8. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

My TV is used for movies only. The reason we switched from cable to DSL is we weren't watching the cable tv, but they charged us for it no matter what (b/c they can't split the signal), so out it went.
    I haven't missed it.
    I haven't had the TV in my room hooked up to anything except my DVD player in 6 months.
    There is no reason to watch TV. Network TV outright sucks. Any half-decent shows on discovery/history channel come on at odd times... what's the point?

9. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

These days, I use my TV for DVDs and as a second monitor for my pc. And the PS2. I hate reality tv.....

10. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

I barely watch TV. Maybe I'll catch the news once in a while but that is all. I am sick and tired of reality TV and all of those talent shows (american idol :yawn:). And yes, I have broadband.

11. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

the only other thing i watch is Daria.i love Daria. :D :rock:

12. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

daria only comes on satelite here, which I haven't had for 3 years...

13. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Yea Daria rocks :rock:

TBH I don't have broadband, but it wouldent matter I still watch tv anyway, just through my computer, which I do now (am doing now)

14. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

<early morning rant>

TV has gone downhill :sigh:

i mean, how many big brothers have there been? 4? i didnt even know that it was starting again!

i only watched im a celebrity for jordan! - (.)(.)

how many uses have the home improvement shows found for MDF?

what is up with all the gash shows like "queer eye for the straight guy uk", i dont even want to know whats on that show!

the only good things on are simpsons, malcolm in the middle, scrubs and american chopper! :thumb:

</early morning rant>

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

24?

16. RTT

RTT #parp

:D

17. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I still watch TV but no where near as much as I used to. The box is normally on but I'm not "watching" it, just for background noise. There is hardly any decent primetime programs these days. Mostly the TV is used for the PS2 or DVDs. Occasionally I'll flick through the music channels.

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

There is still the odd good program (well, I like 'em) on the telly, Enterprise on a monday, Angel / Las vegas on a Tuesday and Jake 2.0 / Charmed on a thursday (although I haven't seen 24 yet, as I want to see the first two series first :sigh: ).
    But there used to be so many great programs on and I've watched them dwindle down as shows get cancelled (Farscape, Witchblade, Firefly, I-Man (from which Fawkes and Hobbes were on Las Vegas this week incidently) etc...) and we're left with the dross that is Big Brother and "I can't cook so shout at me" (aka Hells Kitchen)...

and I haven't got broadband yet (although come the end of July my exchange is supposed to be BB enabled so I'll have to wait and see...)

19. HumZilla

HumZilla What's a Dremel?

It seems Television companies aren't prepared to spend money on good writers, productions when they can use members of the general public instead of paying actors.

They don't have to worry about sound engineers, production assistants, key grip, best boy, casting, locations, etc. Just take a cameraman and a guy to hold the boom mic if its really necessary, and follow average joe in their everyday life at their workplace.

The problem of docu soaps and big brother and clones, has got so bad that 'celebrities' are getting no work so they have to make docu soaps about them doing average joe jobs, e.g. Hell's Kitchen, I'm a celebrity, etc.

Anyone is a celebrity nowadays, you don't have to have a talent or skill to be one. Even if your a kids tv presenter, your a celebrity.

Real entertainers like Morecambe and Wise, Tommy Cooper, The Two Ronnies, Harry Enfield. These people have worked hard to write or co write jokes, sketches and then perform them with the aim of making people of different backgrounds, and ages, laugh.

Why the hell should my TV licence go towards some sneaky lazy ****wits house/garden makeover who can't be bothered to do DIY or pay a tradesman half of which are only doing it to sell it!

Arrrggh :wallbash:

20. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Haven't watched analog TV for almost 2 years ever since I got my Dell PC with HDTV. BTW, although videos on broadband internet are often superior to analog TV, they still can't compete with HDTV.

Tags: Add Tags