1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics MSI GeForce FX 5200/Radeon 9200

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ReznorCathode, 28 May 2004.

1. ReznorCathode

ReznorCathode What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone,
    so im alive and back on bit-tech after a very long time of not being around.

As im not too big of a gamer, I still have my Radeon 7200 :hehe: . Anyway, I recently bought Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow and I obviously need to upgrade my card. I can get a MSI GeForce FX 5200 for very little,brand new,and thats good, as im currently kind of on a budget (money will be needed on my trip to europe this summer..)

Is this a good choice for now? I really only want to play SC:pT and maybe GTA:VC every once in a while (really no time for gaming that much anyway, school and exams coming up..)

anyone here have this card? I know that this card is one of the recommended ones for SC:pT
    thanks!

*updated at bottom*

Last edited: 28 May 2004
  2. calnen

calnen moo!!

No, it's a very low-end card. It's the minimum recommended because it can 'techanically' ;) handle dx9 - problem is it's too slow a card to actually play any dx9 games on.

I'd recommend a 9600 series. Pro or XT would be better, but more expensive. Don't buy a 5200 or 5600.

3. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

I second this, I have had a 5600 and it was crap. I then grabbed a 9600xt - that was MUCH better but still not enough. I then tryed a 5900XT and thats what I stuck with. The 5200 is just a very basic card - wouldnt be worth the upgrade.

4. Carlk

Carlk What's a Dremel?

There crappy cards, don't think much of the FX range. Unless its a Asus FX5800 ultra but like you said your on a budget. Splinter cell runs well on a MX440 so there's no need to spend alot of money..... unless u wanna go for something realy kick ass :thumb:

Carl

5. ReznorCathode

ReznorCathode What's a Dremel?

so i won't be getting the FX 5200. Instead I can go with a Radeon 9200 for almost the same price (a little more....$20 more +tax)...
    better choice?

6. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Currently running a radeon 9000 as I'm not much of a gamer - but it plays FarCry happily at 1152x800 (or whatever the 11** resolution is exactly).

I would also state that the 9200 is better than the low end FX range - they were pretty poor in the earlier stages

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

depends on the rest of ur system.

c my sig for my system \/

as u can c i still have a 9200 and it plays all the latest games just fine...nothing amazing, but it aint bad.

oh and i dunno where ur buying but u can pick up a 9200 for £25 brittish...so u shouldnt be paying more than $40 US!

8. henson0115

henson0115 Banned

i brought a bludy fx5600 secound card brought after a bit of hagerling managed to get it to 78 pounds,
    without realising that the reason i managed to get it that low was because it was just about to be upgraded to the fx 5700 and now im stuck with the dame thing lol

9. dr_crazy

dr_crazy What's a Dremel?

God, don't EVER go with anything less than a 5900 on the GeForce FX series. I got a Gainward GeForceFX 5600 when they came out and its the biggest lump of poo in my system, worse than the stoopid scan case i got for a tenner!

10. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

BS. FX5700u was a great card. And i might suggest your proc. is the crappest aspect of your system from looking at your sig...

What 3dmark scores does it get you out of interest?

11. dr_crazy

dr_crazy What's a Dremel?

yh, i was being ridiculously stupid this morn, no excuse 'cept maybe pre-exam stress. :(

Yh, i know my processor is crap. Ne suggestion on what to get instead? Got a MSi-6712 (KT4VL) and not much cash.

[EDIT] Aint got 3dmark, so no scores as of yet. Will prolly get it this week, considering im now free of exams and free of uni until September

Tags: