1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New self-destructing DVD launched

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 1 Jun 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

In the words of a certain bowl of petunias, "Oh no, not again". This from elReg:

A French company has developed a disposable DVD or DVD-D, that self destructs after a few hours. Like the classic DVD, DVD-D is made of polycarbonate, but it contains an extra layer of coating that reacts to an oxidisation process which begins as soon as the disc is exposed to air. The self-destruct process can be pre-set to occur between eight and 24 hours.

It is not the world's first suicidal DVD. Last year, Flexplay Technologies, based in New York, announced a DVD with a 48-hour viewing window. Like the DVD-D a Flexplay enabled DVD works in all players, DVD drives and gaming systems designed to accept a standard DVD, but the makers of the DVD-D claim their product is much cheaper to produce. The company also says there are no ways to repair the disc after the weathering process has made it unreadable. Solutions to repair the disc would be extremely complex.

More here

2. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Notice how they say extreamly complex and not impossible, which shows that if sum1 really really wanted 2 they could recover the data :D

Death

Last edited: 1 Jun 2004
  3. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Don't PS2s die because they aren't meant to read DVDs? Any chance the same could happen to DVD players trying to read these disks that are in the oxidation process? (IE: what if the disk is 3/4 of the way through its life)
    And what keeps someone from ripping the DVD as soon as they get it out of the package and burning their own disk or just watching it on their computer/htpc?

4. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

As well as the thinking that since you don't give the disc back you technically "own" it, so why not have the legal right to copy it or do whatever you want with it.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nothing, probably what most people will do if they want to use it again after 24 hours.

6. quack

quack Minimodder

Another example of how wasteful society is. I bet they're not biodegradable or recyclable.

*sigh*

7. RTT

RTT #parp

I bet you can just do the same as on the last version and read the disc through the polythene wrapper! What a crap idea, do these companies have money to throw away or something? Who in their right mind would actually use something like that? Takes the **** to be honest.

8. quack

quack Minimodder

*cough* AOL's advertising campaign *cough*

9. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Just use a vacuum pump, or burn up all the oxygen in a sealed chamber and put your dvd player in it :)

I agree that this kind of thing is totally wasteful, and I bet they'll still charge OTT prices for buying these self destructing DVD's.

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

he, another adequatele crazy solution would be to create a duo hotplate-dvd player, that way oxygen is burned as it plays! :p:S

I fi wanted to keep the DVD, id simply use some kind of software to back it up, then watch it later (as i have payed to view it once, i shall view it once, whenever!). This all sound very undramatic. I hope they have a little thing in which says "this dvd will self destruct in 5 seconds". But i bet they wont blow up :(

11. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

The last ones were recyclable... but only by the company that produced it, so you would have to find their super-duper-handy-dandy-on-every-street-corner-except-yours recycle bins to recycle the disk...

12. RTT

RTT #parp

I knew that was coming somehow ;)

13. Carbon

Carbon Banned

lol...so true !

14. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

what if you sprayed the disk with a clear coat spray paint, or varnish immediately after opening? or would it still oxydise even after being exposed to air only for a few minutes?

15. dr_crazy

dr_crazy What's a Dremel?

still begs the question: whats the point?

Wouldn't the cost of producing these self-destructive dvds wipe away any supposed saving from piracy?

PLUS there's always gonna be someone out to try and beat the system

16. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

I wonder if they still crackle in the microwave after they have been "destroyed"?

I do not find this to be that amazing and realy would like to see someone create a disk that doesn't degrade untill it is under the eye of the DVD reader... Then if they could put some kind of holagram on the disk to verify that is the origional (like Mic' does) then you could be sure that the special secret information you are watching has not been compromised.

17. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

The cost of pressing the DVD is not what makes it expensive, it's the movie studios, Motion Picture Association, lawyers, etc. Besides most DVD are less than $20.00, it's not worth it.

Do the box and graphics decompose too? It would be nice if they provide a fancy case and graphics for the copy that most would make. Dual layer DVD burners (Sony $199.99) advertised at Best Buy and Circuit City over the long weekend. I think NetFlix is going to be VERY busy soon. :rock:

Tags: Add Tags