1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drive from hell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bee2643, 5 Jun 2004.

1. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

i have a 7200rpm Seagate 120gb 8mb cache SATA hard drive
    this thing is so hot, it is responsable for probably the majority of the heat inside my case.
    the top of the drive, it -HOT-, but it gets better, I can't touch the sides or underside of the drive for more than 3 seconds without having to pull my hand off the thing because its so fricken' hot..handling the drive while in operation is not possible

why do they get so hot? and how can i keep it cool without purchasing a drive bay cooler for it..im skeptical about watercooling it because all that will do it heat the water up with unsatisfactory results...i do have a peltier laying around, lol.

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

It shouldnt get that hot tbh, have you checked the drives SMART readout for temps, or to check if its functioning correctly at all?

3. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

how do i check its temp :rock:

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Download summit like aida32 or speedfan, the hdd sections of both should give SMART data

5. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

temp: 50
    worst: 59

sounds underestimated though...

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Man that does sound quite hot tbh, 60 for a hdd is V toasty... IIRC most are rated to a max of 55 deg....

7. xtroid2k

xtroid2k What's a Dremel?

HDD Problem

Hi, Well here is my advice on the situation

The first person is right, check your temps in the bios.

Also you might want to test the drive in another computer if possible.

Also are you experianceing any computer issues itself

finally you might just want to get a replacement, that worries me that the hdd gets that hot. I mean they get somewhat hot, but not to the point where its impossible to touch during operation.

8. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

my fingers are burnt, its on my desk as an RMA is coming in soon for the drive, so maybe thats why, the boot sector keeps getting hooped...
    not sure if that has anything to do with the heat, but still 55 is even hot

i picked it up to move it so that i could move my case and then my fingers started to burn, i didnt want to drop it so i slowly set it down because it was still spinning and active, that was badass, i think i need to apply some polysporin lol

9. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

another few seconds of holding the thing and id have probably left a layer of skin on the housing, lol!!

10. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

My WD hardrives were 32 C idle and can go upto 45 C Load(Has hardrive cooler on them). But Now since I have them on Raid IDE ports, running any kind of S.M.A.R.T monitoring tools will throw a BSOD.

11. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Dont you have any fans blowing air over that thing? :eyebrow: Try a heatpipe cooler for the hard drive. That should help prevent it from burning up in the future :D

12. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

with most fast hdd it is recommended that they are cooled, usually a fan is a good idea...i have four of those drives in my main rig, and yes they produce a fair amount of heat, but nto too bad with some fans...

13. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

i have no spare drive bays
    i dont have hdd mount, so my hdd sits atop my radiator
    ...i suppose i could relocate it to underneath the PCI cards...

14. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

my HDD gets that hot and i hold it fine. so i guess you'r temps are under estimated. also is it cramped with any other HDD's in teh bays or ide cables squashed around it. cause if so then yoink that **** out and see what happens when you put a fan on it

15. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

its SATA, same with everything else, and there are no other harddrives in proximity

16. marcboy

marcboy What's a Dremel?

i have the same sort of problem, i just keep it away from my other drives and have a fan on it. That seems to keep it stable

17. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I remember reading the little leaflet that came with my seagate (and maxtor) drive and it recommended some airflow round it to prevent excessive temperatures, which will lead to a shorter lifetime.

18. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

If a drive gets this warm sat on a desk then theres an issue.... the desk tesmps are likely to be much lower, so it really shouldnt overheat, especially when its not in the hot atmosphere of the case. This WD is sat in a SilentDrive (basically a block of foam with 2 cool plates) It gets warmer but not massively hot. As suggested try a fan to see if that helps....

19. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

i have the same harddisk, i found i was geting temps of round 45-50 but i stuck a 80mm fan inplace and the temps now go between 19-24.

so yes a fan is a good idea :thumb:

20. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder