1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor More ram confusion (Running faster spec ram)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JonDixon, 3 Jun 2004.

1. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Oh well

Ive order an SN45G v2 and bought an XP3200 processor.

Im looking at 512MB of ram. Corsair, Crucial or Geil.

Question 1: Can I use Geil in an SN45?

Question 2: Does it make a big difference having dual channel (2x256MB) sticks rather than 1x512MB stick

Im not planning on doing any overclocking at all so will I see a performance gain

Question 3: As Im not overclocking should I just by the 'value' ram in the configurations or should I invest in the good quality stuff.

If I was to buy dual channel ram then currently Im looking at Geil Golden Dragon as its the cheapest so far for 2x256MB ram

*LATEST* A friend of mine has offered me some Geil dual channel PC3700 golden dragon ram

He's had it in an Nforce2 board so I guess it'll work. Is it worth putting in higher rated ram? I guess it'll just run at 400Mhz. Any advice/info???

Last edited: 4 Jun 2004
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

SN45 does, dual channel nforce2 goodness. Its also less picky (in my experience) than the 42, Geil (value w/ blue heatspreaders) does work.

3. schmitty511

schmitty511 What's a Dremel?

I am currently using 1 stick of Crucial 512 in my sn45g and it is working great!!! :rock:

4. JonDixon

Thats good to know, but is it worth paying the extra for dual channel sticks?

If it is I'll buy some Geil value.

5. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

I just run a matched pair of Crucial bought at the same time... the SN45 like the SN41 does support dual channel memory. So 2 * same make, same size, same speed, same CAS should be fine if you dont buy a twin-x pack.

However I have had big problems with Geil memory in SN41's with graphical corruptions, but as the SN45 wasn't got onboard video you should be OK.

6. JonDixon

A friend of mine has offered me some Geil dual channel PC3700 golden dragon ram

He's had it in an Nforce2 board so I guess it'll work. Is it worth putting in higher rated ram? I guess it'll just run at 400Mhz. Any advice/info???

7. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

well with higher rated ram, the timings will be looser to allow it to reach the higher FSB's. so, unless you are overclocking i would go with the lower rated ram (PC3200) and get some tighter timings!

8. kaneso

kaneso What's a Dremel?

Tags: