1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor linux router and pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChegsJAR, 10 May 2004.

1. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

Hey
    For my uni house next year there will be 3 of us sharing a internet connection. I will also be doing a Unix, Linux and X module.

So my idea at the moment is this.

To have a epia board. Maybe a nano-itx maybe not though. To have this running some version of linux (haven't decided which yet)

The box will be used for routing for the internet so it will be on all day. It will also be used as a second PC for me and also so I can do my shell scripts etc.

Has anyone got any advice or any ideas for me?

Also is it possible to run a epia board of a solar panel? Although I dont have more then about £50 to spend on a solar panel.

2. ajack

ajack rox

Rather than buying a whole new machine, try get a really old one from someone [or if you have one lying around] -- Smoothwall need a 386 minimum to function iirc, and shell commands don't need anything special. Just my opinion :)

3. ChegsJAR

Yeah I have IPCop on my old old gateway machine.

What I'm trying to do it the linux version of ICS from Microsoft. E.g. I dont' want a striped down version.

Also want a epia due to low power it uses. My house mate is worrying about the electric bill and we haven't even moved in yet :D

4. poldank

poldank What's a Dremel?

yes indeed i do have an idea for you. There is such a thing call a Toshiba Magnia. They are quite expensive retail, but about 200ish on ebay. VERY USEFULL. In order to use it as a pc you would need to modify the os on it or attatcha video card to see what the hell is goin on in there. I have one if you would like to buy it off me. ;)

ohh ohh and this has 8 ports... yes 8.

5. calnen

calnen moo!!

Another vote for just using an old P2 or something. You can pick them up for about £25 very easily - saves you £50 on the epia, which is more than the electricity would cost in an age

6. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

I got a p150 lyeing about, i tried to set sommat up on it last year. oh thats it an mp3 server but it lagged too much.

7. ChegsJAR

I've got it sorted now thanks

Using a 800mhz epia :)

8. planki

planki ...

clarkconnect is quite good aswell ive heard

9. mike

mike What's a Dremel?

as it is going to be on 24/7 i would go for a soekris board and m0n0wall

Why a soekris board?
    Well COMPLETLY silent, :clap: :rock: (no fans either for board or PS)
    Draws LESS than 10Watts (more like 6 in real use), so much cheeaper to run :clap:
    the boards are TINY so excellent :dremel: potential :D :hip: :thumb:

get them from soekris if you are in US or KD85 if you are in Europe.

Download m0n0wall from here Firewall and Router designed EXACTLY for this sort of thing

Tags: