1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Powering LED's with Batteries

Discussion in 'Modding' started by brutus, 8 Jun 2004.

1. brutus

brutus What's a Dremel?

The plan for my mod is a picture frame that would house blue LED's powered by batteries in the frame such that pictures printed on transparencies would have bloo backlight. The question is, approximately how many LED's do you think would be necessary for sufficient backlight, assuming a 6X9 frame, and with said number of LED's what type of hook up should I use with the batteries? ie, wiring the LED's in parallel/series, getting the right voltage from the batteries.
    They all need to be on the same circuit so as to make use of a switch for the light.
    Thanks

2. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

If you take a sheet of plexi and "frost" it the light from the LED's will defuse alot better and give a much more even glow:
    [​IMG]
    Like that, only do a better job sanding the surface :lol:

I'd say for a 6 x 9 frame and normal LED's you'll prob need 10 or so? Just a guess.

3. Mr.Nonflex

Mr.Nonflex What's a Dremel?

cool idea,

to make it a litle better, why not use more pictures 6 or so, and rottate them, like the used to do on some billboards.

like paste the transparent film to gether, make it endless, pasting the last to the first, and use a motor to transport the next image after some time.

He, as i write this, i think its such a cool idea. i will try this. Thanx for the wonderfull idea. :thumb:

4. ReikoX

ReikoX What's a Dremel?

I'm no electronics expert, but I think I can answer this question. Basicly you need to figure out how many volts you need to power the LEDs. Usually the blue ones require ~3.5v. So let's assume that 3v will give you enough light. If you put 2 AA bateries together you will get 3v (1.5v x 2 = 3v). Then if you ran the LEDs in parallel each one would get 3v of power. Depending on how many LEDs you use will determine how long the bateries will last. Another option if you have space is to use 4 AA bateries (6v) and run the LEDs in series (pairs of 2 each getting 3v). I'll try and do a little bit of ASCII art to explain. For a switch just put a switch between the bateries and the first LED this switch would turn off all power to all LEDs.

Option #1
    Code:
    +  --SWITCH---|----|----| ...
    AA            +    +    + 
    -            LED  LED  LED    
    +             |    |    |
    AA            -    -    -

Option #2
    Code:
    +  --SWITCH---|----|----| ...  
    AA            |    |    |
    -             +    +    +
    +            LED  LED  LED
    AA            -    -    -
    -             +    +    +
    AA           LED  LED  LED
    -             -    -    -
    +             |    |    |
    AA            |    |    |

5. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

OR just run it off a transformer out of the wall, however that would give a wire going to the frame but would mean that it would last much longer.

Instead of using two leds you could use the correct resistor.

6. brutus

brutus What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tips, guyz!