1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding "Monolith" Hard drive racks

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Tanaban, 10 Jun 2004.

1. Tanaban

Tanaban What's a Dremel?

Because I was a foolish foolish man to post this in the Project logs... Any way, thanks for any thoughts on improvements or questions!

2. DAWG

DAWG What's a Dremel?

Nice job man, nice job. How did you wire the hard drives up? Is this network storage, or...?

3. Tanaban

Tanaban What's a Dremel?

Well through phase one and two I had 4 Western Digital 7200rpm 40 GB hard drives running in either raid 5 or raid 0 depending on when I reloaded the system. Those were not serial ata drives and so I used a pata to sata adapters that came with my Highpoint 1520 raid card and used 36" sata cables to connect. The raid card is not particularly spectacular but it does the job very well for very cheap. It can handel four drives and does raid 0, 1, & 5 from what I have used I have used.

I now have two of the WD 7200rpm 40gb drives running in a raid 1 for important file storage and have two shiny new Western Digital 74gb 10,000rpm drives running in raid 0 for my OS, games and every thing else that doesn't go in the raid 1 section. I like this set up it seems to work well and be very secure in my mind.

So to answer your question no network storage. If it was network storage I would just stick it in a different room or something where I couldn’t hear it any way.