1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Building your own USB plug

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tapius, 9 Jun 2004.

1. tapius

tapius What's a Dremel?

ok i need to build two usb ports that connect directly to my mobo does anyone know where to buy individual usb port to mobo plug. I would build them if i knew the 4 pin out sequence and knew where to get the USB heads. i would use the expander that came with my mobo, but the casing its in is just too big.
    thanks

2. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

well, you've got a couple of options. you could hack up the extension that came with the computer (making it smaller), or you could build your own. try www.allelectronics.com for usb plugs. if you've got the mobo users manual it should include the pinout for the usb headers on it. then a quick search on the internet (which was what i did, but i'm not at my pc right now, sorry) should yield the usb wiring scheme.

3. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

I agree with Zogthetroll. Your best bet is to use the usb expansion plate that came with your motherboard. If you cannot find this, you can probably buy another one on-line or at a local store. Take the usb plugs out of the port cover and just put them wherever. Alternatively, you could get a usb hub and mount it where ever. Cut off the end of the usb cable to the hub and connect it to the motherboard. Either way would probably be simpler than building one from scratch.

4. tapius

tapius What's a Dremel?

thanks you've been a great help guys :)

5. tapius

tapius What's a Dremel?

after looking through the site there weren't any female connectors, thats what i need the female USB housing.. so if anyone knows where i could find that where as its not already soldered on to a PCB, that would be great too thanks

6. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Jameco has the required hardware I think you are looking for.

7. tapius

tapius What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    thats exactly it, jameco has it -thanks soo much! :clap: :clap: :clap: