Linux Wireless Networking Problems with Linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by savethegaywhales, 17 Feb 2004.

1. savethegaywhales

savethegaywhales What's a Dremel?

I recently installed Fedora Core to give Linux a try. I have some basic knowledge and I got myself somewhat acquainted with some Linux commands but ran into a problem. I have a D-Link DWL G-520 (revision A) wireless card that it is not recognizing. I searched and found 2 options. One was to use linuxant, a program that imports windows drivers. I found that quite amusing - my best solution was to import the windows solution into Linux. The problem is that I can not justify spending $20 on this. There has got to be a better way.

I then discovered the linux-wlan project. This was given by dlink.com as a possible driver but they did not support it (there was no officially supported Linux driver for my card). I thought that this would be my solution. I tried to set it up (multiple times) with no success. Does anyone have any information that could help me out? I just had to rewrite this because Internet Explorer caused a problem and needed to close, which makes me want to explore Linux to its fullest extent even more.

:wallbash:

2. lunix_user

lunix_user What's a Dremel?

hmm...
    You might hate me for this, But SuSe has some drivers built in.
    Other then that, I'm not sure.
    Wireless cards are historically a bad spot with linux.
    Not a great first experiance, im guessing.

It basically depends on the chipset of your card- sorry for not being much help.

3. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

There are plenty of drivers about for 802.11b cards in Linux but as yet there is very little support for 802.11g cards (this is because the manufacturers wont give out details of the new chips to developers). As you have found out there are a few options, including the linux-wlan project and the ndis wrapper both of which (I think) just use the windows drivers. What problems are you having with the linux-wlan drivers?

4. savethegaywhales

savethegaywhales What's a Dremel?

I couldn't get Fedora to recognize that there was a wireless card installed.

I haven't attempted it lately, my motherboard went bad and corrupted my drive. Just bought a new one and haven't had a chance to reinstall linux. My friend told me to try Gentoo because it had a lot of built in support. I searched their forums and found instances of the wlan and madwifi drivers working, I just need to set it up again and get cracking. Finals are just finishing at my school so it looks like a good time to start again. :D

Tags: