1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: DrunK BoX UPDATED 5/19 !!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KrAzyWuLpH, 17 Jun 2004.

1. KrAzyWuLpH

KrAzyWuLpH What's a Dremel?

Hey, I'm new to these forums, but some of you might know me from Anandtech, [H] Forums, and Xoxide Forums. I've settled here to post my worklog because you people never cease to awe me with your original and mind blowing mods. I can only wish that my comes out as a decimal to the caliber of most of the peoples' mods here.

The Project.
    It all started one day when I hadn't brought my computer up from the basement yet, a week after a LAN party that I had hosted. I walked into a seperate room in the basement to the fridge to grab a mountain dew. Sitting on the floor next to the fridge was this wooden box, a wine box, I guess my parents had recently had guests over. Without thinking twice, I grabbed the box and took it into the work room to see what I could do with it.

The Plans.
    The outside of the box is going to be altered greatly, I plan on putting some kind of metal-mesh around the sides, and some cool, clean wire management and lighting. I'm also thinking about a few lcds and some other cool things. Unfortunately, I don't have sketchup, and if I did, I doubt I'd learn yo use it, but for all of you modders who do have the program, maybe you wouldnt mind creating a proto-type of your own ideas. My thoughts are not yet set in stone, and I'd love to hear what you have to say. Well, without further speech, here are the pics.

[​IMG]
    Wow, excuse the bluriness, here's the side of the winebox.

[​IMG]
    Yuck, another blurry one, the back is shown here

[​IMG]
    The box from a bird's eye view :D

[​IMG]
    The ingrediants, Two Cd-drives of unknown speed, a 15gb Maxtor drive, a 6gb Western Digital Drive, a combined set of 448mb of Sdram 133, an old p3 slot soyo motherboard that's never been used, a 450mhz pentium slot 3 - never used, Oced to 600mhz, 16mb video card, network card, a 350watt generic hardrive sleeved UV red, but looks pink, and 6 red LED fans.

[​IMG]
    Rough placement plans where I think everything will go. The cd drives will be on top of the powersupply.

[​IMG]
    When there's a powersupply on straight wood, it tends to throw out some nasty shocks, so I found this aluminum top to an old container, hopefully this will ground it well.

[​IMG]
    Cut it to fit, and it fit perfectly inside!

[​IMG]
    Another shot

[​IMG]
    After testing with the UV red psu, I found that something was wrong with it! Damn!! Wasted a sleeving kit. Well, I had this neon green loomed Powmax 350 watt one laying around, I intend to sleeve it later. Also, those disgusting ribbon IDE's will not be used in the project, I have some nice UV green IDE's that I'll use after all the testing. For now, these will do though.

[​IMG]
    Success! All my parts seem to work well.

[​IMG]
    Cut a few fanholes in the back

[​IMG]
    Couple in the side as well

So, here is where I stand, I'd love suggestions from a modder on any level, I could use them. Remember, my budget isnt too high.

By the way: I may upgrade parts later on in this mod.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2004
  2. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

i suggest u resize ur pictures but itlooks good i guess u cant window it now that u wrote on the bottom

3. gLoopy

gLoopy What's a Dremel?

Hey,

I like the look of whats going on... If you could be a bit clearer of what your intentions are, i would be able to comment on that. Are you
    - Making it look nice?
    - Making a powerhouse of a computer?
    - Just something origional and unusual.

If your going for the third, im liking it.

4. KrAzyWuLpH

It's taking forever in photoshop, any easier way?

And this mod is just orginal, It's all old parts and I just wanna make something fun. As for the bottom goes, It's fine that I wrote on it because I'm either going to sand it off or paint it. =P

5. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

U can resize em by using paint. Just open em with paint and clicking image, stretch skew and just set em on 80% on both h and v and that should shrink your images.

Well thats how I do em.

6. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

If you're using WindowsXP, there is a PowerTool called Image Resizer, that does just as its name says. You can resize one image at a time or many. (This might also be available for other versions of Windows.

7. KrAzyWuLpH

I appreciate everyone's help on attempting to help me with my pics! I actually found a program that will mass reduce or enlarge the sizes of any picture! It's called Media Resizer and I found it on Download.com! Good find. :D

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

lovely lovely
    no need for the 56k warning in the title either, or any project log for that matter given the nature of project logs, 56k nono is understood really

now back on topic chappies :thumb:

9. KrAzyWuLpH

Roger that!

10. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Hey, that monitor looks like my first HP monitor... Until the colors died and I harvested it for parts...

11. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Photoshop can batch resize a directory full of images in one hit. Forget how its done tho :D Try the help

OR you can also use a shareware tool like EZThumbs (again, cbf finding a link. Google)

12. KrAzyWuLpH

Thanks for all the image help guys, but it's solved! I'll be putting another small update up today. How about some suggestions.

13. LucSkyywalker

LucSkyywalker What's a Dremel?

Light idea

looks like you might have enough room toward the back to actually put one of the wine bottles in, empty of course...mount it and light it with some led's or maybe a cc lamp. that would be pretty cool, then put a window in the top. Just a suggestion :D

14. KrAzyWuLpH

Great Idea. I'm gonna go do some work on the case now.

15. KrAzyWuLpH

Small Update

Alright, so I think I am gonna put an empty bottle in there and light it up. For now, I have a little planning a bit of progress to show. Please people, give me some advice!

[​IMG]
    I was browsing in Mircocenter and picked up this 9200se for 52$. I know I can find it cheaper, but I was happy to have it. It will be going into the drunk box.

[​IMG]
    I installed the motherboard and decided to use the back panel of a case of mine that was sitting around.

[​IMG]
    I cut a the edge off of the plate to make it fit. I used a jigsaw :D

[​IMG]
    I went around the rough edges with some silver molding I had. It looks pretty smooth.

[​IMG]
    For some reason the backplate and motherboard weren't lining up, so I grabbed some lexan and tried something out.

[​IMG]
    Here's the plate and lexan together

[​IMG]
    This back panel kept causing more and more problems, so I said forget it and went on to something else for the time being.

[​IMG]
    Hey, it looks good without the plate, still needs some more cutting though.

[​IMG]
    Here, I made plans to cut a hole in the wood for the floppy drive. It was really hard to line up right, so I took a bit of an estimate

[​IMG]
    Success! I made the slit just wide enough. I also started working on a hole for an eject button, but now I'm thinking about making my own out of wood instead of having the plastic one poke out.

Guys- I want to buy an older athlon process that must work. A duron or a Tbird would work well. It'd be nice to have some newer hardware in here now that I bought a newer video card. If you have one that you wouldnt mind saying goodbye to, shoot me an offer. Thanks

Last edited: 20 Jun 2004
  16. KrAzyWuLpH

guess everyone hates this =[

17. chrono

chrono What's a Dremel?

I like it :D

I don't have any of the parts your looking for though >.>

Keep up the good work!